Video of throttle issues and intake issue pictures

Steve21slx

Reaction score
It really seems crazy. I understand dirty tube and more weight of a trolling motor will certainly affect boat speed but my RPM's have now dropped to 4500 and my throttle does nothing after 3/4. 

Here is a video which I have sent to the deal\er but still wondering if anyone has had this issue and what they did to correct it so I have an idea when I deal with the dealer.

Last year we were hitting 25-27MPH and this year we are lucky to hit 20MPH.

Cable adjustment?

Are you sure you don't have water in the toons? Running the rivers like you do there is a chance you bumped something.

I shook the boat to see if there was water in them but don't hear anything. I have inspected the tubes and have not noticed anything. The only place I can't see is where the rails are. That still would not explain the lack of throttle but yeah the river is tough. I hope it is not the tubes though and I really don't believe it is. I dropped it off at the dealer tonight so we shall see what happens. I took the top off the motor and noticed that one of the nuts on the throttle cable(not sure which one) that hold it in place was lose so hopefully that has something to do with it. The dealer feels it may need an adjustment and thinks it was probably from when bennington replaced the floor. Fingers are crossed.

Good luck and let us know what shakes out.

ok so it seems that the throttle did need some adjustment but that was not the complete reason we lost so much power. Apparently there is a hose or something for the air intake on the motor that collapsed or collapses as you run the engine. I guess they said that there was a bulletin on it a while back. I am not sure exactly what it was called and won't get the boat back until next week as they are doing the 100 hour service to it also so I will know more then. I have a yamaha so if you feel you have lost power then maybe check with your dealer and see if this may be the problem. I guess it will be a week or more before I get to find out if this solved the problem so still keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Sounds like they have it figured out though and you'll be back on the water soon!

The above picture shows the fix. I am not sure how legit this is. Seems the part should be replaced not wire tied open. It worked though and we were back to cruising speed. Hitting around 5600-5700 RPM. I will have to get the gps on board to check the speed but it certainly is moving much faster than the last time we went out.

Here is a quick video showing were we are at now. I would say if you have a yamaha and notice it has lost power I would check this. We lost around 1100 rpm. It was also a gradual thing. I noticed that we lost some RPM last year then we got it on the water this year it seemed every time we went out it got lower and lower until we were at 4500 RPM the last time out. Today was great though. She ran like a champ.

Glad to hear you're running well!  I noticed the trim gauge showed full down though -- is it working?  If so, I bet you'll get even better performance if you trim up a bit.   

Yeah I was just providing a video thats all. Actually yesterday i did not trim at all just because I did not think about it. I think I was so excited that we got full speed back it never crossed my mind to trim up a bit! LOL.

I'd call Yamaha and see what the fix is. There should be a tech bulletin for that issue. I have one printed off for the ECU replacement on mine that I still need to take care of. It shows step by step how to fix the issue.

Back