Volt gauge not working...........sometimes!

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Hey all, went out on the lake yesterday and unloaded, got in, fired it up. Started with no issues, backed away from the dock and noticed that my volt gauge hadn't moved, as in still pointing completely straight down. I obviously had power since it started in a heartbeat, but nothing showing. Got under the dash and fiddled while the wife watched the gauge, all of a sudden, we had 14 volts! I don't even think it was anything I did, it just kinda sorta happened. It happened again to us later. I have the dual batteries, and switch was set to both. I will try bringing a volt meter with me next time, but I really don't think it could be the batteries, gotta be the gauge in my opinion. What's you smart fella's opinions?

Derrick

I vote for the guage. Next time it happens, tap on the guage and see if it comes up. Is that a 3 in 1 guage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 3 in 1, I did try tapping, nothing happened. Haha first thing a guy does when something doesn't work........hit it! Haha but yes I did try that, tried tapping the back side as well, started moving wires around under there, when it did start worked ng, I was touching wires nowhere remotely close to the gauge. Thanks,

Derrick

Oh, and fuel and trim were working on it

Sounds like loose connection somewhere. Is there seperate connection for each function on the gauge ?

Sounds like loose connection somewhere. Is there seperate connection for each function on the gauge ?
If I remember correctly, I think there was just a harness connected to the back of it.

Check to see if it uses a common ground, or if there are three grounds coming from gauge. Probably single ground, but the ground point may be the issue. Also check to make sure the harness is plugged in tight. Maybe a loose connection at harness. Also check the harness and ensure the wire "pins" are fully inserted into the plastic harness block.

Will do, thanks!

Derrick

So, volt gauge was still kind of weird yesterday, I got in and it wasn't working, then after a bit, it started working, so all is good right? Nope. Then we are cruising at about 25mph, got god on and music barely audible, next thing I know, it all is off. Blew the breaker on acc switch. So I reset the breaker and climb under the helm, as I'm looking around, I notice that the negative wire on the key switch seems to be off, but all my other gauges were still working, speed,tach,fuel,trim. Does this make any sense? After hooking it back up, I while later, I was cruising along and my gps turned off again, and maybe it's just in my head, but a swear there was a smell both times. The second time the gps turned off it didn't blow the breaker and I turned it back on and it worked fine. Oh and the first time when the breaker blew, I had noticed moments before, the volt gauge bounced around (dropped and returned, dropped and returned) this was about a second or two before the breaker flipped. So, could a loose connection on the key do all this? Never lost power to motor, and everything else kept working, now that I'm thinking, I'm not positive it was the key, could have also been the master power, wife was with our niece, might have been wrong in positioning from underneath to on top of dash. There were only two wires, a red and a black going to it.

On another note, Bennington, there really should be some built in straps under the helm for holding/bundling all the wires under the helm. Most are zip tied together, but that is a lot of weight hanging on a wire/connection while bouncing over waves. Just my thoughts, could easily be fiberglass in or put in a couple of bolts underneath to attach to.

Derrick

Oh, and I know the whole go see your dealer thing, it's an 11 hour round trip not super easy to do. Thanks again!

Bulldog, if the new boats are wired like my '05, I can see why there are a lot of wiring glitches. I have it on my long list to re-wire the helm with a common wiring strip and then wires to the dash to take some of the load off.It is pretty heavy to be hanging by spade connectors. Steve

I'm guessing voltage comes from key switch so when you turn key to on position, you show voltage reading. Was the ground wire possibly bouncing around loise and making intermittent contact giving you voltage readings? Sounds like you need to go through and double check all connections and make sure no wires are chaffed.

That's what I was thinking, I did find that one black wire unhooked, but does that explain it blowing the breaker? I'm not sure. I'm not a a wiring guru with this stuff, I know the basics, took electronics in high school, have a good basic knowledge of house wiring, but don't want to start messing around too much under there! I was out in the cousins MB SPORTS B52 today, man that stereo is crazy! Makes me jealous!

Derrick

Here is another question, if the negative wire came off the key switch, would it turn off the motor or would it still run? I'm thinking the negative was off the master power since it killed the stereo and GPS. Crap I don't know, I might have to crawl under the playpen cover and check it out. Dang its warm under there on these hot days!

Derrick

Here is another question, if the negative wire came off the key switch, would it turn off the motor or would it still run? I'm thinking the negative was off the master power since it killed the stereo and GPS. Crap I don't know, I might have to crawl under the playpen cover and check it out. Dang its warm under there on these hot days!

Derrick
Sounds like you do have an intermittent ground problem. Look for loose or corroded connections at the battery before crawling under the helm. Keep an eye out for bad crimps on bullet or spade connectors too. An ohm meter would help check continuity of ground connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is a older topic, but I had the exact same problem with my new 2013 RCL.  This forum and discussion was extremely helpful in determining that my issue was the gauge and the dealer was able to get another gauge on order.  Thanks for sharing these issues, both major and minor.

No problem!  I don't have that boat anymore, but I don't remember having anymore problems. At least no more powering off problems. Hopefully your new gauge solves the voltage reading issue. Although on my new one I installed a Victron battery monitor so I always know exactly what my voltage is on both banks at any time.

Back