Wake damage on my 2018 SSRX

DaveT

Reaction score
How many owners have experienced damage to your boat due to a wake or a rouge wave?

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving our harbor and just exiting the no wake zone, a large boat passed in front of me forcing me to slow way down (I'll stress that this didn't seem like a big deal, and the other boat wasn't going at an inappropriate speed). I pointed the bow into the oncoming wake, as I'd been taught to do.

The first wave of the wake was no problem. Nor was the second, which had us rocking but again, nothing we hadn't seen before. However, the third wave caught us in a bow-down attitude and came over the front of our 22SRX. It wasn't high enough to come over the door, and didn't seem like anything other than a nuisance until I noted that the skin on the front door had been torn off, and the front skins were both dented (the right skin badly)!

In looking at the now removed door skin, I'd note that it's, well, flimsy. It isn't designed to take much of a blow if any. I'd suspect that there will be many of us, therefore, that have this kind of damage.

My insurance has been notified... as have the Florida Fish and Wildlife (FWC) commission. I'm getting estimates. UGH! My brand new boat!

Anyway, I'm disappointed at the construction of the bow skins. Have any of the rest of you had damage?

Luckily no damage to ours after taking a wave over the bow. Remember not to take them head on in the future. Rule of thumb is 45 degree angle but when they get big enough I take them almost parallel to the boat, or if possible, turn away to get some more distance. I'll also get the boat to that point where it wants to get on plane so it's nose (bow) high as well. It is defense driving at it's finest operating a pontoon on big waters.

How many owners have experienced damage to your boat due to a wake or a rouge wave?

A couple of days ago, as I was leaving our harbor and just exiting the no wake zone, a large boat passed in front of me forcing me to slow way down (I'll stress that this didn't seem like a big deal, and the other boat wasn't going at an inappropriate speed). I pointed the bow into the oncoming wake, as I'd been taught to do.

The first wave of the wake was no problem. Nor was the second, which had us rocking but again, nothing we hadn't seen before. However, the third wave caught us in a bow-down attitude and came over the front of our 22SRX. It wasn't high enough to come over the door, and didn't seem like anything other than a nuisance until I noted that the skin on the front door had been torn off, and the front skins were both dented (the right skin badly)!

In looking at the now removed door skin, I'd note that it's, well, flimsy. It isn't designed to take much of a blow if any. I'd suspect that there will be many of us, therefore, that have this kind of damage.

My insurance has been notified... as have the Florida Fish and Wildlife (FWC) commission. I'm getting estimates. UGH! My brand new boat!

Anyway, I'm disappointed at the "flimsy" construction of the bow skins. Have any of the rest of you had damage?
Dave T, sorry this happened, but the trade off to more stout panels is increased weight, loss of performance and increased cost for the boats. I don't have to worry about this on my lake, but I've been on big water in other boats and you still have to worry about sticking or stuffing a big wake/wave with your bow. Typically you need to work the throttle between wakes, letting off the throttle when your coming over the wake, then giving more throttle to bring the bow up before you hit the next wake. Also, as lakeliving said, hitting the wake at a 45 degree angle can help as well.

Hopefully your insurance takes care of you without any hassle and your boat gets fixed quickly.

Taking a large wave over the bow is NOT a design or build issue. A rouge wave is the issue, as stated.
The skin used on these pontoons is not really different than any other manufacturer in this industry.
Further “quality” discussion may get this thread edited.

Taking a large wave over the bow is NOT a design or build issue. A rouge wave is the issue, as stated.
The skin used on these pontoons is not really different than any other manufacturer in this industry.
Further “quality” discussion may get this thread edited.
Well stated Semperfi8387

The large cruiser is supposed to be responsible for its wake. Of course its difficult in that situation for the owner of the cruiser to accept responsibility for repairs on your boat.

Back