Want help selecting new pontoon for rough water.

PTC

Reaction score
I am shopping for a pontoon that would be used on a large lake (Mille Lacs). I would be using it just for cruising. Usually with 4-6 people, but often enough with 10-12. I have another boat for fishing and for water sports, so this would never be used to pull a tube. Maybe occasionally fishing. But mainly pleasure boating.

The lake has rough water most of the time. So I would live input from folks with experience on Mille Lacs, Leech, Winni, Great Lakes, Oshkosh or Lk St. Claire. 

How long should the pontoons be to have a reasonable ride on rough water. 3 pontoons, 2 elliptical, or 2 25".

Wave Shield?

Motor that will push the boat a 20mph or better when carrying max load.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Already replied under your mid west topic.

You should be looking at one of the longer toon'd hulls--24' or longer--and tritoons. I'd suggest you go ESP if you're going to be in heavy waves often.

And a 150 hp would be the minimum I'd recommend. Nothing worse than getting caught out in a storm and not have the horsepower to promptly get you home.

PTC,

It's funny because we were just talking about Mille Lacs about 30 minutes ago and specifically what size pontoon would work best. If money is not a factor, I would go 25-28' with ESP. I agree with Bamaman on the motor size, nothing smaller than 150 even if your just slow cruising. That's a big lake and yes, it get's rough out there.

We bought our boat to deal with similar conditions. Our lake is approx 3 times the size of Mille Lacs. We ended up with with a 28" with esp and a 300. You could certainly get away with less power but I would say no less than 250 on a 28 or 200 on a 25. When we have 4-5 foot waves you definitely have to have some power to push your way out of a trough.

We have been really impressed with the big water handling. There really is no replacement for a longer boat in adverse conditions. The length makes the difference between riding on top and riding up and down the crests when travelling at an angle to the wind. Also ESP provides a high level of control and excellent flotation. I would strongly consider this option if you plan to be out when the wind is up.

My only want is a little more width (and maybe twin engines for redundancy but oh well). We park beside a 10' wide 31' pontoon from another manufacturer and his extra beam is the only feature from his boat that I would want on ours. The Bennington has much nicer fit and finish.

25+ and tritoon and esp, plus a bigger motor to power through when needed.  I am in the ocean and have f300 and a q25 and does well...If you get go with Q do it as the font has some added weight in the nose cones. 

Back