Warming Up Engine ?

Pittsburgh

Commodore
Reaction score
Do you own a Yamaha ?

Curious to know if you allow the engine to warm and idle for 3 minutes before moving boat ?

dog-question-mark-curious.gif

I don't time it but my routine is to partially lower the boat for easy loading and boarding and let it idle while final loading and stowing equipment and this will probably be at least 3-5 minutes and that is on my Yamaha F250.

Jack

Chuck, I mistakenly got rid of the wrong post. And I have the motor running while eveyone is boarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I start, check for tell tale, and idle out through no wake zone, so no, not normally.

This will be my first outboard motor and a yamaha at that. Like my cruiser I plan on letting idle wile everyone is boarding and stowing away items usually takes about 3 to 5 minutes

I was surprised to see in the online Yamaha Manual that 

failure to warm and idle engine will shorten lifespan of motor !

Are they talking idle and neutral? Once leaving the lift we idle for a bit in gear by the shoreline.

I would copy and paste but it doesn't allow me to   

It says after starting engine allow to idle for 3 minutes

Failure to do so will result in a shorten engine life

This is the manual for the F90 

Perhaps it is not required on the larger motors ?

NV331083_3.jpg

My 150 said the same

We let it idle while loading the cooler, taking off the individual seat covers, spreading towels, etc. It probably idles for 5 to 10 minutes depending on what we are loading and how many people.

Steve

I too let her idle for 5 to 10. Min I feel embarrassed everytime, but I have to make sure her pee stream is flowing...

I should have read the manual more closely. Thanks for posting this. Sounds like a good thing to try to do while getting ready to go. My dealer told me everything not to do right when I picked up our boat. Tow with mooring cover on: absolutely! That's why it's there! Tow with motor up and no transom saver: absolutely! Winterize? Never! Break in procedures for engine? What break in period!? Full throttle right from the start! Ugh....  :unsure:

Welcome 

To 

My 

Nightmare ..............

Alice Cooper 

Use to be a huge Cooper Fan . He SOLD OUT BIG TIME 

No longer a FAN !

Speaking of warming up engine and dealer advise, I will be picking up my boat in a few weeks and the dealer says they are going to tune the prop. I assume they put a prop on run the boat wide open and check RPM's if they don't get the numbers right they change it. This sounds like a record for disaster for a brand new never run engine. How do I ensure they are going to let it idle for ten min and only hit half throttle for next two hours etc etc? I think I will tell them not to even start it without me there. Am I being overly anal?

I honestly think PDB Mag should do a story on this as I bet every one buying a new boat has this same reservation. It's only for a few seconds is what I was told.

Back