Water in Pontoons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cash4trash

Reaction score
Hello all, took the boat to the lake this week and my wife heard water sloshing in one of the pontoons.  The boat is new, only 12 hrs, and hasn't been damaged.  Do I have to contact Bennington and have a new pontoon log installed?  I really don 't want them to patch weld something on a new boat.  Has anyone had issues with leaking ?

Thank You,

Chris

First step is to contact dealer. 

Don't assume the worst at this stage . Which toon? Are you sure you heard sloshing from toon or fuel tank?

Does the boat list to one side or other?

Any decent welder can repair a hole and below the water line you'd probably never even know. It's not common, but has happened on the forum, but repairs are typically done locally very easy  . I would highly recommend NOT trying to get the toon replaced. It could take months till it gets to dealer and swapped and you are talking days to get it repaired (if it does actually have a leak)  

My dock neighbor actually had a leak and I'm the one that noticed it. I called my dealer, they came out and pulled the boat, had it back in water a couple days later. It was a pinhole leak and super easy fix.

Take the methodical steps to figure out what the sound actually is, with 12 hours you my just be below half tank, do you have center toon storage and need to turn the switch on for the bilge? We came from a runabout and needed to re-learn all sorts of noises/sounds..... I'm sure our dealer was glad we headed 5 hours home after our first weekend!!! I'm not saying you didn't do the leg work or are incorrect....... I d just get to the base of the issue and then work out the solution. I'm probably one of the more anal ones when it comes to that but I'm not sure I'd let someone put a new log on my boat but me!! Please keep us updated!

If it's a BAD leak, it'll look something like this:

222048-albums8856-picture86520.jpg

Ok, just playing with you.  :D

AFTER you've done as suggested above (search for the noise, rule out all other possibilities, esp if you have the centerline fuel tank), take it to your dealer and they'll be able to check it out for you.  They'll have a good - Bennington Approved - aluminum welder who can fix it, and I guarantee you won't see it even if you're looking at it.

Hopefully the hole won't be this bad...

222048-albums8856-picture86521.jpg

Yeah, that's my boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the replies.. It has two pontoons, and its coming from the log on the left side..  pulled out of water, and moving trailer 12hrs later heard sloshing in the pontoon..  I texted dealer late last night, havent had a response

Sounds like you may have a leak in the upper portion of the 'toon.  Most likely now as nothing is leaking out.  Dealer will get it fixed.

what if you have water in all three toon's and it has been to the dealer around half dozen times with no avail? any thoughts?

What was your dealers response ?

Team Bennington has replied to the original poster with instructions to follow. This topic is closed to further commenting.

Mod Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back