Water in Seats- how to make drain holes

If you have underskinning there won't be any water on the wood.

My underskinning does not cover all the bottom. Front 1/3 is not but I will measure and see where the holes would come through

Drill the hole, take a q-tip with some silicone caulk on it and smear it around the edges of the drilled hole in the plywood to seal it.

Oh! Don't forget to investigate underneath first! You don't want to drill into a wire or cross member. Might be tough to see with underskinning, but I'd do my best to know what is under my planned hole location.

Here are pics from inside our seats. You can see they were drilled out the corners and not through the bottom.

20180508_112426.jpg 20180508_112426.jpg 20180508_112432.jpg 20180508_112426.jpg 20180508_112432.jpg 20180508_112438.jpg

The seat in question has vinyl upholstery on outside and as my original post asked how do i make these holes without tearing it.

The holes are out the back of the seat, behind the fence. There is no vinyl.

Thought about doing that but the upholstery will always get wet and mildew. I will go to home depot or lowes to see if i can find a plastic fitting, like the ones we used to put through drywall to pass tv cable through. Maybe that will keep it dry. No worries, I got a lot of ideas from you guys, I am sure something will work. Will post what we end up doing afterward just for someones future reference.

Resurrecting a good thread. Did you finally get something drilled through? Did it work out and do you have pics? I am in the same "boat" you were in in 2018. Thanks for posting. Very helpful.

Back