Water Pump Indicator Hole (Pee hole)

kaydano

Reaction score
I brought the boat back to the house, and my Mercury 115 started up instantly on the first start of the season. I had muffs on the water intake and had the water turned on plenty. No water came out the pee hole, so I immediately shut it off. I probably had it running for just a couple seconds before I turned it off.

I then hooked up the hose to the flushing system. This is a fitting just above the pee hole, and the garden hose screws directly into this fitting. In the manual, it says to use this fitting after running in salt or muddy water. It says to run the engine at least 5 minutes so the thermostat opens and water can circulate through all the passages. Again, after starting the engine (hose hooked up, water on) no water came out the pee hole, so I shut it down quickly. Motor only ran maybe 2 seconds.

Do I have a problem, or am I just not giving it enough time to "pee"?

Both ways, no water came out. But, I only ran the motor a couple seconds each way, so thinking I may not have given it enough time.

Anyone know if there's a delay (longer than 2-3 seconds) before water comes out the pee hole?

From what I read (if I had the correct manual) you can use the flush hose adapter with engine off as long as your water pressure does not exceed 45psi. Try that a little longer. Also check the pee hole for mud dauber nests, spider nests, etc.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine took a few more seconds to come shooting out, I think that because the muffs aren't perfect and they can aerate the water a bit, if you want to be sure, put a rain barrel or a garbage can (big!) under the motor and either lift it up or crank the front of the boat way up to put the motor in, fill with water, start the engine, just remember to leave it in neutral!! A rain barrel is nice because it has a spigot on the bottom to drain the water, otherwise you probably have to siphon it out or puncture it. MAKE SURE IT'S IN NEUTRAL!!

Mine took a few more seconds to come shooting out, I think that because the muffs aren't perfect and they can aerate the water a bit, if you want to be sure, put a rain barrel or a garbage can (big!) under the motor and either lift it up or crank the front of the boat way up to put the motor in, fill with water, start the engine, just remember to leave it in neutral!! A rain barrel is nice because it has a spigot on the bottom to drain the water, otherwise you probably have to siphon it out or puncture it. MAKE SURE IT'S IN NEUTRAL!!
Or use a Super Siphon ........ :)

That's what I said, "have to siphon it out or puncture it."

Derrick - Thanks for your comment about yours taking a little longer. I decided to try it again, and it took about 10 seconds for the water to come out. I guess I never paid attention to this before. This is the first time I started it without being in the lake.

All is good. Thanks for the comments.

Turns out the pee hole and the hole where you screw in the garden hose are the same hole (so you can back-flush the cooling system with a hose). There's a second hole about 6 inches lower that I thought was the pee hole. I'm not sure exactly what that is...

I tell ya, if this wasn't such an upstanding, family fun oriented site, the one liners would be flying!!! Haha, instead I'll say I'm happy you got it all figured out!

And that kids is where little Mercury motors come from

Back