West Marine

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
West Marine has now closed two of its four stores in Houston. The two remaining open are in Kemah and Galveston. The Kemah area is one of the largest accumulations of private boat marinas in the country, and Galveston is, well, Galveston - a seashore community.

The two closed stores never made sense to me. One was on the west side of downtown, in a sparsely populated industrial park area. The other was north, but not near any lakes or anything.

I like West Marine quality on their house brand stuff, but it's pretty expensive.

I have one about 10 miles away ,I only shop there during their sales .

We have 1 in Nashville and its the only store around for Marine goods. It seems if they would become competitive on the pricing they would be very popular. I too like to shop there but only when its a sale.

You can throw a rock in any direction down here and hit one. My experience has been the same as others, too expensive.

There was a time period they were the only game in town for certain items. The Internet, and other retailers, have really put the squeeze on them. I didn't realize there were previously four of them in Houston.

That's where I ordered my Magma grill and tow bar mount. They were comparable in price to most other sources, but maybe I was just lucky in what I was ordering. That was about the only place I could find the 1.5" mount for the grill in stock.

We have a West Marine about 20 mins away. Been there once in 3 yrs. An Overtons just opened near us as part of a new Gander Outdoor store.......

West marine and the "new" gander outdoors are right next to each other in the same strip mall by us in traverse city. I've been in west marine but have only bought one thing there ever - agree usually too pricey.

Back