Wet carpet and floor

Stowaway

Reaction score
I had my GL2275 shrunk wrapped but unfortunately, the job was done when the carpet and decking were soaking wet. The carpet and floor have remained wet for 6 weeks. I was thinking about putting a dehumidifier inside ( I have an access door) but thought someone out there might have a better idea. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dehumidifier and some Damp-rid. Even a fan would work as long as you have air flow.

+1 on the fan.

Surprised they covered it up with the flooring wet. Has mildew set in?!?

Dehumidifier and some Damp-rid. Even a fan would work as long as you have air flow.

Thanks! Started with Damp-rid but just too wet to work well. Think I'll go with dehumidifier. Hadn't thought of fan. Good idea. 

+1 on the fan.

Surprised they covered it up with the flooring wet. Has mildew set in?!?

I'm surprised, too. Been working with same marina since the boat was new in '08 and had nothing but praise until now. Big-time mildew problem. Both on carpet and underside of decking. Normally, a little clorox and water gets rid of the mildew on the carpet but with the continually damp marine decking and the cover (no sunlight), it makes the clorox useless. 

Another really good option other than the Damp Rid, and much cheaper, I might add, is to put one or two 5 gal.  buckets half full of charcoal in the boat. The charcoal will absorb the moisture. Buy an $8.00 bag of plain grilling charcoal (not the one with starter fluid).

You'll need to get that "wet" situation fixed first, though. Have you used a shop vac to get the worst of it taken care of. The DampRid and charcoal will keep normal moisture at bay. Neither will drink up a soaked carpet amount.

I moved this to a more appropriate category.

Regarding the dehumidifier idea, it depends on the temperature. Most dehumidifers don't work under 50*. The coils frost up.

I would resolve this asap. Did the marina not have the boat covered before they wrapped it? If so why was it left uncovered? Our local marina knows never to leave ours uncovered if on their lot waiting for repairs etc.

Also, most if not all insurance polices exclude mildew, mold etc. so if this was caused by their negligence in keeping the boat covered you'd have to go after them directly. Not an insurable loss (providing damage ensues)

Cheap generator, good shop vac, suck that carpet dry. Been there done that couple years back before it went into storage. 

I took a wave this fall and had a lot of water come in.What I did was use a wet dry shop vac to suck up the water.I then put fans in the boat and that eventually dried the carpet out with help of the sun,which I understand you don't have that option being  shrinkwrapped.My boat is shrinkwrapped now,and I have a davis air dryer 1000 which I'm not sold on yet. I also have 2 fans on timers to keep air flowing. In the past I would put a couple of 100 watt bulbs on timers to come on at night.That worked well on my old cabin cruiser that wasn't shrink wrapped. Bottom line is you need to do whatever you can to dry the floor. Good luck, I hope this helps

Agree! You have to get that floor dry. Use a fan/s, shop vac etc. etc. You might have to have them uncover your boat, take care of the problem and have them shrink wrap it again. After all it's their fault......

I had my boat shrink wrapped for the first time last year in the 8 years we have had it. I didn't have the chance to put the moth balls and Damp rid I normally put in over the winter months. The interior upholstery and carpet was fine. No mildew and was bone dry.....

Back