Wet Carpet .

Jack M

Reaction score
I understand its a boat and things get wet. How ever we got to the marina today the carpet was soaked even under the helm . The cover was on perfect ,every snap snapped ,the poles all installed and the stern strap over the bimini .

Is this normal ? We spent 4 hours in the sun today and it is still wet .

Sure it was not wet before cover was put on, or did you personally cover it?

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I personally covered it ,dry as a bone when we did .

We also had water under the seats ,we had stored towels in them and they were wet .

We did have a hard rain Friday night but I don't believe it should have been that wet .

Where was it wet ?? All over or certain areas. Mine gets wet at doorway as the water runs in at the gap at the base. It makes a wide path all the way to my helm.

Do you have a livewell ?

No live well.

My main concern is under the helm .Did it roll off the floor or drip through ? All the electronics did work today ,and that will take forever to dry out

There was a lot by the stern gate ,some under the seats ,wet spots scattered all around .Possibly the storm was worse than I thought , came in through the pole vents and under the panels . Still doesn't explain under the seats though .

Under the seats is probably from the 1/4" gap at the bottom of the fence rails.

If it rained long and hard, it's quite possible to get in there, especially if wind blown.

It was windy ,we also lost our satellite signal for a while .

Most likely a fluke

Thanks

Yeah I'll bet a fluke. I know the storms you got up there as we got rain down here in the southern part of Michigan as well. I finally opened my cover up today and had wet carpet around the edges of the boat as well despite the cover being on. I have NEVER got water under the helm though...even in some very nasty hard rain with wind.

Yeah I'll bet a fluke. I know the storms you got up there as we got rain down here in the southern part of Michigan as well. I finally opened my cover up today and had wet carpet around the edges of the boat as well despite the cover being on. I have NEVER got water under the helm though...even in some very nasty hard rain with wind.
Under the seats is probably from the 1/4" gap at the bottom of the fence rails.

If it rained long and hard, it's quite possible to get in there, especially if wind blown.
I had forgot about the gap at the bottom of the fence rails .Hopefully that is where it came in . If it is going to .

I just have to figure out how to get it dry .

Sunlight and wind.

Fan under the cover.

First time out in our GL my wife and I put the cover on when we returned. We had a real hard rain and the next day we found a pool water on the cover near the front, also a wet floor near the back. We had the cup holders near the front and one was full of water. No water under the sats.

We tightened the poles in front and retied the enclosures around the Bimini supports. More hard rain and no leaks. However the cover does not seal around the sides of the front deck and I can see where a real hard rain and wind could get in. I don't think there is a fix for this other than a boathouse.

I'm starting to think it was maybe waves that got up and under. If the wind was that strong it could make for some good sized ones. I don't know your dock though, maybe that isn't the case, just thinking for the amount of wetness, it reminds me of one of my first times out in good sized rollers. Since I didn't know any better I cut the engine a bit. Watched that old front end drop into the trough, then watched about 1.5 inches of water soak the floor right from the front all the way to the back on its way by me!! Lesson learned!

jsfb,While you are working through this, pick up some Damp-Rid from Wally World,(about $10 a bucket) to keep things from getting moldy. Two should work. Steve

jsfb,While you are working through this, pick up some Damp-Rid from Wally World,(about $10 a bucket) to keep things from getting moldy. Two should work. Steve
I just saw some small ones @ Home Depot for $3 ,I believe that would be perfect for under the helm .

Thanks

Same thing happened to us on Saturday. We took the cover off and the entire carpet was soaked. Cover was completely installed yet flooring was soaked to the point I could touch the carpet and water would pool up. I didn't expect 100% water proof but dang, why cover it?????

Same thing happened to us on Saturday. We took the cover off and the entire carpet was soaked. Cover was completely installed yet flooring was soaked to the point I could touch the carpet and water would pool up. I didn't expect 100% water proof but dang, why cover it?????
Where do you think it came from ,waves or just the rain ?

Did you also have it under the Helm ?

Ok, just looked at your gallery pics. I "think" your helm water issue may be from the side panel meeting point. If you look at your starboard side pic, where the helm horn is, that's where the panels meet, and it some may be coming in through there. Depending on the amount of rain, up front, it may be also be coming in at the cleat cutouts.

When these covers are on, they shed A LOT of water .... think of a downspout .... a temporary help when calling for bad weather (once you are dried out) is to put some backer rod in some of the gaps underneath. It's a closed cell foam backer used in wide joints before you caulk. This might help to narrow down where your issue is coming from. (Don't keep it there permantly, as the gap allows air movement and drainage if excessive water gets in)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OBTZ1E

Also keep in mind if your toon sits level, or "bow down" ever so slightly all the water rolling onto stern deck from cover, will want to go forward.

If it's not already, try to get it sitting "bow up" at your dock, so the water sheds off the rear deck "to the rear".

Where do you think it came from ,waves or just the rain ?

Did you also have it under the Helm ?
It wouldn't be waves as mine is kept on a lift. I also had water under the helm. My wife has her cd case under the helm and the CD's were even wet inside the case.

Ok, just looked at your gallery pics. I "think" your helm water issue may be from the side panel meeting point. If you look at your starboard side pic, where the helm horn is, that's where the panels meet, and it some may be coming in through there. Depending on the amount of rain, up front, it may be also be coming in at the cleat cutouts.

When these covers are on, they shed A LOT of water .... think of a downspout .... a temporary help when calling for bad weather (once you are dried out) is to put some backer rod in some of the gaps underneath. It's a closed cell foam backer used in wide joints before you caulk. This might help to narrow down where your issue is coming from. (Don't keep it there permantly, as the gap allows air movement and drainage if excessive water gets in)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OBTZ1E

Also keep in mind if your toon sits level, or "bow down" ever so slightly all the water rolling onto stern deck from cover, will want to go forward.

If it's not already, try to get it sitting "bow up" at your dock, so the water sheds off the rear deck "to the rear".
Thanks .It does sit "bow up " It looks like it is almost too far up .( I know it isn't )

I remember Saturday that I did see light coming from area you are refering too .

Update

I just ordered a roll ,I have some other uses for it also .

Back