What is the Best Bennington to Buy for an Older Boat Owner

dolphindolls2

Reaction score
My parents owned a cottage on Lake Charlevoix in Michigan in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's and they had a Harris FloteBote, I learned how to drive that thing before I learned how to drive a car. Now in my 60's, we have finally downsized to a condo on a Lake and just this week we were able to purchase one of the only 13 docks available at our condo complex . So I finally can purchase a pontoon.

I really want to purchase a Bennington -- looking for 20ft or 22ft.
Looking for the best bang for the buck.
Since I'm 63 & hubby is 67, we need a boat that will be easy for us to maintain.

Looking for suggestions, I want to keep the cost under $42K, what would you recommend --- New or Used?

New with a Yamaha engine. Mercury engine as a second choice. Oars for a third.

Look for a 2023 leftover. There are still a lot out there and dealers are less likely to give you a hard time about shopping out of your local area if you do have to widen your search. Any 2023's left now are in the way and you should get a decent or even better deal on those.

As a reminder, the selling of boats and motors is not allowed on the forum

Bennington is definitely the way to go in my opinion. Especially with a new boat 10 year warranty. Look for a new boat that has been sitting on the dealers lot for a year of two like a 2023. Suggest shopping online before you go to the dealer so you have an idea of whats available in your price range. Make a list of what you absolutely have to have and stick to it so You don’t just go for the best deal and have buyer’s remorse once you’re out on the water.

New with a Yamaha engine. Mercury engine as a second choice. Oars for a third.

Look for a 2023 leftover. There are still a lot out there and dealers are less likely to give you a hard time about shopping out of your local area if you do have to widen your search. Any 2023's left now are in the way and you should get a decent or even better deal on those.
@Nautical - thank you, I will definitely look for 2023 leftovers. Our friends on the lake have a 18ft pontoon and their seems so small, I was thinking we would look at a 20ft or 22ft

I posted it as a reminder ,to try to prevent an offer of one for sale .
If you are looking for used ,try to find a 2017 or newer ,with the 10 year warranty that can be transferred .
Here are links to the 10 year warranty statement .

Bennington is definitely the way to go in my opinion. Especially with a new boat 10 year warranty. Look for a new boat that has been sitting on the dealers lot for a year of two like a 2023. Suggest shopping online before you go to the dealer so you have an idea of whats available in your price range. Make a list of what you absolutely have to have and stick to it so You don’t just go for the best deal and have buyer’s remorse once you’re out on the water.
@Bobby Bass, I have been looking online at the dealer nearest me, and

I posted it as a reminder ,to try to prevent an offer of one for sale .
If you are looking for used ,try to find a 2017 or newer ,with the 10 year warranty that can be transferred .
Here are links to the 10 year warranty statement .
@Jack M , thank you for suggesting to find 2017 or newer, I appreciate you providing the links for the warranty information.

As others have mentioned and suggested, look at 2023 leftovers. You also need to think about what you want to be able to do on and with the boat, and what your slip will allow size wise. You mentioned your friends 18 foot seemed small and you were looking at 20-22 foot models. Depending on what you are wanting to be able to do and the number of people on the boat with you will help you decide the basic specs on what would fit you best. I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 23 foot tritoon with a 200 hp outboard. While we spend most of our time just anchored and relaxing we like to pull the water toys behind us with the kids. I believe your location also allows you access to Lake Michigan, if memory serves right. The extra length will allow for a smoother ride in rougher conditions, storms and winds that pop up that were not in the forecast. With the 2023 models you also have a better chance of the better and easier ladder that was added that was built by lillypad. Makes getting out of the water so much easier as we get up there in age and our joints start acting up from your younger years of abuse. Knowing what you are mainly going to use the boat for will also help with the furniture layout that would work best for you. IE: we loved the rear chase lounges of our old boat but with more people onboard they caused a problem with people wanting to sit by us while we were under way. We found that the deluxe swingback without a stern rail was the best choice for us in our new boat.

Thing of what you want to be able to do not just what you are going to do most of the time. Being able to do more than just putt around and anchor will help your resale when it's time to sell and lease out the dock.

Go to the dealers, walk and explore the different models, find what you like the most. Make notes. There are also little things on the boats available that may help make life easier for different things. Take your time, you get what you want and need and not be pressured into something that isn't going to work for you and make you happy.

Is your cottage on Lake Charlevoix ? I live in Indian River between Burt and Mullett lake .

My parents owned a cottage on Lake Charlevoix in Michigan in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's and they had a Harris FloteBote, I learned how to drive that thing before I learned how to drive a car. Now in my 60's, we have finally downsized to a condo on a Lake and just this week we were able to purchase one of the only 13 docks available at our condo complex . So I finally can purchase a pontoon.

I really want to purchase a Bennington -- looking for 20ft or 22ft.
Looking for the best bang for the buck.
Since I'm 63 & hubby is 67, we need a boat that will be easy for us to maintain.

Looking for suggestions, I want to keep the cost under $42K, what would you recommend --- New or Used?
REaly think about how you are really going to use the boat and how many people will be on it, how fast you want to go (skiing). Consider finding friends and see if they want to upgrade their boat and sell you theirs. You will get a lot of opinions on this site.

As others have mentioned and suggested, look at 2023 leftovers. You also need to think about what you want to be able to do on and with the boat, and what your slip will allow size wise. You mentioned your friends 18 foot seemed small and you were looking at 20-22 foot models. Depending on what you are wanting to be able to do and the number of people on the boat with you will help you decide the basic specs on what would fit you best. I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 23 foot tritoon with a 200 hp outboard. While we spend most of our time just anchored and relaxing we like to pull the water toys behind us with the kids. I believe your location also allows you access to Lake Michigan, if memory serves right. The extra length will allow for a smoother ride in rougher conditions, storms and winds that pop up that were not in the forecast. With the 2023 models you also have a better chance of the better and easier ladder that was added that was built by lillypad. Makes getting out of the water so much easier as we get up there in age and our joints start acting up from your younger years of abuse. Knowing what you are mainly going to use the boat for will also help with the furniture layout that would work best for you. IE: we loved the rear chase lounges of our old boat but with more people onboard they caused a problem with people wanting to sit by us while we were under way. We found that the deluxe swingback without a stern rail was the best choice for us in our new boat.

Thing of what you want to be able to do not just what you are going to do most of the time. Being able to do more than just putt around and anchor will help your resale when it's time to sell and lease out the dock.

Go to the dealers, walk and explore the different models, find what you like the most. Make notes. There are also little things on the boats available that may help make life easier for different things. Take your time, you get what you want and need and not be pressured into something that isn't going to work for you and make you happy.
Thanks this is all great info. I will only use this boat on our small lake --- Walled Lake in Michigan. I snowbird in Florida or Arizona - wherever I find the best deal and I will not take the boat with me out of state. The most we will ever have on the boat is 7 and 2 of those will be grandkids. I do want to stay within the 20-22 ft models. I also would like an extended aft. I'm going to put a list of all my wants and needs and use that to determine next steps....

Is your cottage on Lake Charlevoix ? I live in Indian River between Burt and Mullett lake .
@Jack M , my parents sold their cottage in the 1990's, it was right next to the Ironton Ferry. Its now empty land and a huge marina with a ton of boat docks...Since I still work, I could drive up north on a weekend if any dealers have some available... Can you share the name of your dealer and do they have a website, so I could look to see what is available?

Wilson Marine - is the dealer for Bennington's in the Detroit Metro Area, where I live and they do not have any 2023's left in stock is what they told my husband when he went there on Saturday. Does it make sense to purchase one 5 to 6 hours away and tow it to my lake?

@Jack M , my parents sold their cottage in the 1990's, it was right next to the Ironton Ferry. Its now empty land and a huge marina with a ton of boat docks...Since I still work, I could drive up north on a weekend if any dealers have some available... Can you share the name of your dealer and do they have a website, so I could look to see what is available?
I'll send you a pm with the info

Do you have a place locally that can take care of annual service, or ANY other type of service you may need on a boat purchased elsewhere? Is Wilson marine that “local” option?

If so, inquiring how service works with them if you purchase elsewhere would be wise. Our local Bennington dealership in N. Michigan (like many…maybe most?) puts everyone at the back of the line if they purchased elsewhere, and they will bump them if an emergency service is needed on a boat purchased from them. And EVERN THEN, they are often weeks or months backlogged for service in the summer - that’s if you bought through them due to their client base. With short Michigan summers, service departments can be near impossible to get into if something develops because its such a concentrated and short boating season.

FWIW, I usually hear good things about Wilson Marine from others. Our lakehouse is on Houghton Lake, and our home downstate in mid-Michigan, so we haven’t used them personally.

FYI - I will PM you. The Bennington dealer near us (lakehouse in Michigan) has a good amount of 2023’s left over with big rebates off MSRP. They also have a couple used boats on the lot too.

Back