What paint should I use on wood under my pontoon?

Sh1

Reaction score
I just bought my first pontoon. 2003 25 foot Benning. I want to keep the underside from rotting. What kinda paint should I use? I'll be in regular water ways. No salt water.

No it doesn't need replaced. I'm just trying to make it last longer than with anything on it from the factory.

If ,I were going to paint/stain/seal .I would use a waterproof sealer .Then install a wave shield

Its a shield that attaches to the cross members.It also stops the surging .
Here are 2 pics on my 2014 . Others here may have better pics.

1587895783553.png

1587895901299.png

Wow what a great idea. I never would of thought about doing something like that. Thank you I see that getting done.

It is an option from the factory on some models standard on others ,many on the forum have done it themselves .

Yep I will do it myself with the help of my brother. Lol. What thickness do you recommend?

Yes wave shield is underskin lol. Paint or sealing it would make it last less or it would b done at the factory. Marine plywood needs to breathe which allows it to last longer. 5052 .063 gauge is standard for underskin (wave shield).. it will improve your ride and also help slightly with speed and fuel economy.

Marine plywood is what is used in retention ponds, typically submerged. If you are sure it’s marine ply (which is probably 99.99% chance) it does not need sealed.

Back