what this about props

vman

Reaction score
if my dealer I purchase the boat from who is from the area I will be boating sells me my motor for said boat why wont my prop from the get go be specked properly? As I am new to boating I would not know how to choose.

I hope this makes sense: Specked properly is different for different people and boats. Some props help give better hole shot some are better at not blowing out in turns, some help with upper end speed. Some are more cost effective, others more durable, and so on. And all of what they may or may not do is then dependent on boat weight, and motor combinations - which vary considerably with pontoons.

Thus, it can get tricky - part science, part art. I think most dealers are probably spec’ing something that is middle of the road in the above categories to cover as many bases as possible. Thus, if someone wants some aspect of performance “dialed in”, then they may need to play around with props to get the best fit for their intended outcomes/goals/uses.

I hope this makes sense: Specked properly is different for different people and boats. Some props help give better hole shot some are better at not blowing out in turns, some help with upper end speed. Some are more cost effective, others more durable, and so on. And all of what they may or may not do is then dependent on boat weight, and motor combinations - which vary considerably with pontoons.

Thus, it can get tricky - part science, part art. I think most dealers are probably spec’ing something that is middle of the road in the above categories to cover as many bases as possible. Thus, if someone wants some aspect of performance “dialed in”, then they may need to play around with props to get the best fit for their intended outcomes/goals/uses.

Yup, what he said

Back