What tools do you keep on your boat?

Bugsbunnyboater

Reaction score
I had picked up a Harbour Freight tool kit to keep on the boat. It went back the next day bad ratchet. Now I am thinking a different direction. My question is what can I actually fix on an outboard in the water. I am thinking wire cutters fix any broken wires in the electrical system A few screwdrivers tighten lose items. Wrenches to tighten items fuel lines tighten battery cables. 

A screwdriver, adjustable wrench, needle-nose pliers, a corkscrew and bottle opener. I tend to travel light in this category with my main emphasis on proper maintenance to keep me out of most trouble.

Leatherman all in one tool and small 4 way screwdriver. 

A screwdriver, adjustable wrench, needle-nose pliers, a corkscrew and bottle opener. I tend to travel light in this category with my main emphasis on proper maintenance to keep me out of most trouble.

Four way screw driver and ditto on the other items. But here in Maryland, a real sharp knife to cut an occasional crab pot line you catch at 1 or 2 in the morning. The pots and lines can be nasty!

Keep a spare aluminum prop and all the tools necessary to change it.

Cotter pins, duckbills, 1 1/16th wrench, etc

I had a full set of tools that I kept on my boat in a "supposedly" dry box that protects metals inside from rust.  WRONG!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001531ZNM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Didn't work worth a damn.  Rusted all my tools.  So now I coat all my tools with CRC 6-56 to prevent rust.  Works pretty good now, except everything had a the oily coat of protection.

I read on another forum about vacuum sealing tools for EMERGENCY use.  That's a great idea and am going to do this with a ratchet, sockets, a phillips head and flat heat screwdriver, a regular pliers, a needlenose pliers, and a multi-tool.  Oh, and of course a roll of Duct tape!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cellphone and SeaTow membership number in case it's late at night and I don't want to wake people.

Back