Which boat house bunk system/setup for tri-toon with ESP package?

Reaction score
I'm looking for some help and direction with the kind of bunk system I need to use in our boat house.
I've read other threads on this topic here in the forum which mention the SPS package.
However, the ESP and SPS/SPS+ packages differ when it comes to the center tube. The ESP center tube differs in size and shape while the SPS tube is the same as the outer tubes.

We have a 2016 2250_GSR with F250XA Yamaha motor.

Has anyone heard definitively and directly from Bennington on their recommendation for how boats with the ESP package should be bunked?
Should I plan on using a V-style chock (Picture #1) ? This setup was done for a boat with the SPS+ package.
Or can tall chocks (picture #2), which provide support under the deck the entire length of the deck, be used?

Or should I not use chocks at all and just go with what's in picture #3?

Thanks in advance for your help and input on this.

Picture #11588086180412.png1588087031752.png

Picture #2 1588086221240.png1588087159111.png

Picture #3 1588086850773.png

I would go with either pic 1 v-bunk cradle set up, or pic 3 Bunk set up.

I would not at all go with tall chocks in pic 2 just due to all the weight left dangling down vs. being supported. I know others in here have those types of supports and like them, but I just don’t trust it long term with heavier tritoon/motor set ups. I know my dealer strongly advised against that set up with our tritoon too at the time I purchased our boat.

That said, I don’t recall anyone saying they’ve had problems with set ups similar to your pic 2 arrangements, so it might just be my extra worry and caution. :rolleyes:

I recognize picture #1!:)

Those bunks are actually supporting my tritoon with the SPS package. This works really well for me. I installed guides on the side to align my boat and the tubes rest perfectly on the bunks when I raise the lift.

Attachments

• Benny_Lift.jpg
    Benny_Lift.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 40
One thing with the V setup is the center V would need to be at a flatter angle due to the diameter of the toon. If it was at the same angle, it would be put more upward pressure on the center toon because the toon wouldn’t sit as far down in the V.

Personaly I like the vee bunks for better support and centering the boat on the lift. I found with 3 identical vee bunks and the ESP hull the boat would sit on the center toon and only one outside toon. If using vee bunks you need the center one to be spread out wider by several inches to fit the larger center toon on the ESP hull. You could also lower the center bunk, but the wide toon will sit high up on the top edges of the bunk and not be supported as well as a wider center bunk. It took a lot of adjustments to get my ESP to sit right on out lift.

Both my dealer and dock builder recommended the chock/rack route. Bennington didn't recommend one method over the other as long as their requirements are met (unless in salt water, then chocks). I personally went with chocks because unless bunks have proper support they sag under load. I believe it would be important to have bunk supports directly under the tube welds, but due to my existing cradle spacing of 10' that was not possible.

I am about to close on a place with a floating boat dock and lift. I always kept my boat in the water, but the logs got dirty, so I am looking forward to lifting it. My Benny has the SPS+ hull. Is there any damage concern to the lifting strakes or performance foils from the vee-bunk set-up shown above or overly wide flat bunks? I'm still trying to decide how to convert the existing air bladder lift. Thanks for any advice from those experienced in this.

I am about to close on a place with a floating boat dock and lift. I always kept my boat in the water, but the logs got dirty, so I am looking forward to lifting it. My Benny has the SPS+ hull. Is there any damage concern to the lifting strakes or performance foils from the vee-bunk set-up shown above or overly wide flat bunks? I'm still trying to decide how to convert the existing air bladder lift. Thanks for any advice from those experienced in this.

Both systems will work fine with you SPS+. We had V-bunks in a lift for 2 years ourselves. Most on here that have lifts have one or the other. If converting an existing lift, you wont go wrong. If you are starting from scratch, we switched to Sea Legs last year and sold off our lift/canopy. It has been a much better sit up for us in regards to shallow water levels, and flexibility to just lift the boat up wherever we happen to dock up.

Our Old Lift Bunks:

1DAE1703-DFA4-4A14-91E6-72CCEADF710A.jpegB134F6FF-2635-476B-B045-8C16CCBF36F2.jpeg4982C862-9BC5-4272-B4A0-7F90E015C378.jpeg

Our Current Sea Legs:
image.jpg9BF75CE0-D513-478C-87E6-54334B6F2776.jpegDEAC9860-B041-4F87-B96C-3456D54A1B90.jpeg52EB00E1-A757-4136-B6C5-EFD8A87D5021.jpeg

Best of luck and enjoy the new place with the boat. :)

I seem to remember that Bennington’s warranty states that the use of carpeting on the bunks voids the Pontoon warranty???

I seem to remember that Bennington’s warranty states that the use of carpeting on the bunks voids the Pontoon warranty???

How would using carpet on bunks do damage to the pontoons?

It can cause pitting of the toons due to the extended contact with moisture. My bunks are covered with a heavy plastic.

It can cause pitting of the toons due to the extended contact with moisture. My bunks are covered with a heavy plastic.

I am just calling crazy on that. Most trailers have carpeted bunks and so lifts. I have my pontoons on carpeted bunks for 20 years and never had a pitting issue.

I am just calling crazy on that. Most trailers have carpeted bunks and so lifts. I have my pontoons on carpeted bunks for 20 years and never had a pitting issue.

Direct from Bennington Warranty page:

This warranty does not cover any Bennington product that is damaged as a result of electrolysis, stray-current corrosion or galvanic corrosion, or any such corrosion that results from the lack of maintenance of, and/or use of incorrect sacrificial anodes. Corrosion can occur under many different circumstances both in and out of the water which would not be covered under this limited warranty. Electrolysis can cause severe structural damage to a boat and its accessories. To prevent corrosion, precautions should be taken including but not limited to: sacrificial anodes, anti-fouling paint, limited exposure in saltwater, trailers with plastic-tread bunks (do not use carpeted bunks). Fully wash the boat, tubes and cross members immediately after every usage in saltwater.

I believe the carpeted bunks have to do with the (typical) pressure treated wood beneath the carpet. The pt chemicals react with aluminum.

I have used slings since 2013. No issue, everyone out here uses slings!

I get it but it is still crazy. I bet the odds of that happening are almost 0 but lawyers wanted in there. No dealer has warned me about this and they sell trailers with carpeted bunks.

My understanding is that Bennington had many pontoon warranty claims resulting from the pitting and corrosion and they decided it was caused from carpeted bunks. At least that’s what my dealer told me when he ordered my trailer with the plastic covered bunks. There may also be an association with pontoon use in salt water.

My understanding is that Bennington had many pontoon warranty claims resulting from the pitting and corrosion and they decided it was caused from carpeted bunks. At least that’s what my dealer told me when he ordered my trailer with the plastic covered bunks. There may also be an association with pontoon use in salt water.
Salt water wouid make sense.

Back