Winch strap woes.................

BigKahuna

Reaction score
It was a spectacular fall day here in Virgina so we took "Big Kahuna" for a quick spin around the lake, had lunch, hung out around the islands for a bit and headed back to our marina to take the toon out so we would be back home before the Redskins play the Vikings.......floated the toon onto the trailer, attached the winch strap and was just about done cranking it up to the trailer and "BAM"! the winch strap tore in half right below the hook. Great! Well it lasted 8 years........Thank God the marina store was still open and they had winch straps. I wanted to put a cable on it but they were out so I had no choice........ I had to remove 1 bolt install the new strap and we were back in business and still made it home in time for the game..................aaaaaahhhhhh the drama of owning boats................

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year, we were pulling the boat up the ramp and went over a bump in the concrete and heard a really bad sound. Got to the top of the ramp to the parking area and looked the trailer over. Found that the nylon strap had broken with the pressure of the bump. Luckly the toon never moved on the trailer. As steep as our ramp is, if it started moving it would have come off.

Last year, we were pulling the boat up the ramp and went over a bump in the concrete and heard a really bad sound. Got to the top of the ramp to the parking area and looked the trailer over. Found that the nylon strap had broken with the pressure of the bump. Luckly the toon never moved on the trailer. As steep as our ramp is, if it started moving it would have come off.
That's why you should ALWAYS have a secondary attachment. I have a small chain I use.

Smitty

That's why you should ALWAYS have a secondary attachment. I have a small chain I use.

Smitty
Smitty, I also have a safety chain but the strap broke before the toon was all the way up touching the trailer and before I could fasten it..........

Headed out today for one last time and got about a 1/4 mile from the slip and the motor died. Would not stay running and I felt like it was a fuel problem. Turned out my 1 1/2 year old squeeze bulb had cracks in it and was sucking air. Tied the bulb where the cracks were closed and made it back to the dock. A mechanic was there working on my neighbors boat and he had a spare bulb. Finished the day with a grin. Steve

Smitty, I also have a safety chain but the strap broke before the toon was all the way up touching the trailer and before I could fasten it..........
Yeah, I meant that for Remediation when he said they were pulling it up the ramp when it snapped...... :)

Back