Winter Storage

gbpastor

Reaction score
I plan to store my Bennington in a garage for the winter. The plan is to rest her on 4 dolleys. I have seen others do this, but wanted to see if there are any recommendations out there for types of dolleys. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but want the Lady Jane to rest well.

Welcome to the forum. I can't help you out but I'm sure someone on this board can.

I plan to store my Bennington in a garage for the winter. The plan is to rest her on 4 dolleys. I have seen others do this, but wanted to see if there are any recommendations out there for types of dolleys. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but want the Lady Jane to rest well.
So no Trailer? Obviously !

I am considering the same (dollies). My marina is a mile away, so no trailer. The dealer said they can put it right on the concrete slab, although I think the flexibility of having dollies will be nice for winter projects.

I want to be able to move it once it is safely in the garage and on the dolleys to give me more room in my garage. The question is what type of dolleys? I have had a number of people tell me I can get them at Menards... but what is adequate? What will work best?

Make sure they straddle the welded bulkheads of the pontoons.

I’m thinking the Harbor Freight dollies would work fine.

Thanks! Found some online for a good price. Next question: First time with a Yamaha 4-stroke. Can I winterize on my own or do I need someone to do this for me?

You can winterize it yourself if you have changed oil in your car. Fogging the engine used to be more of a headache but the newer approach of running it through the gas line is much easier (IMO). Check out the you-tube videos. I have found that if you buy the supplies from your dealer, sometimes it is not much of a savings to do it yourself. Plus you have to get rid of the old oil.

Don't forget about changing the lower unit oil as well. It is super easy if you have the pump that attaches to the top of the quart bottle.

for winterizing my 115hp my dealer just said to put a good fuel stabilizer in my tank and go for a good rip to get it thru the motor and it would be good to go for winter. I changed my engine and gear oil. I have a big shelter so I can keep my cover on, I put some moisture control bags under the cover along with some bounce dryer sheets to keep the critters away. I will start a list of my spring add ons that I pick over the winter on here and live vicariously thru those that live in warm climates, jerks (joking...sorta)

Lady Jane is in storage, winterized too. Just cleaning her up. What works good for cleaning the pontoons? Removing waterline deposit, etc ?

Attachments

• IMG_20191029_151340958.jpg
    IMG_20191029_151340958.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 29
Back