Women's 2014 US Open

StevL

Reaction score
Anyone watching this? I can not believe Lucy Li, the eleven year old playing in the Women's US Open.... unreal. Okay she may not win, may not even make the cut but to qualify and be ahead of 50 other tour players at age 11 is simply unreal. I just hope they let her be a little girl for a while longer.

I played a lot of golf and I find this very hard to comprehend!

Steve

Yes I also think that that there should be an age limit so that little girls can be just that.  She was cute holding her ice cream cone during the press interview

No question that this is a phenomenal deal.  I did not start playing golf until I was 12, and did spend 10 years as a golf professional.  I just hope her parents do not force the game on her, as she is not ready for a steady diet of that life.

Qualifying for a US Open and participating is a great accomplishment, but she need to get back to school and then be a normal kid.

Oh, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express, but have played in a Men's US Open.

Last edited by a moderator:
11 yrs. old and shoots 78 in the 1st round..........Crazy!!!

I hope she has an amazing future in front of her 

Filled with happiness and love 

lucy-li-+ice-cream.jpg

but have played in a Men's US Open.
You must tell us about your golf experience, were you knocking on the tour door for 10 years, club pro, etc.??

Steve

You must tell us about your golf experience, were you knocking on the tour door for 10 years, club pro, etc.??

Steve
I was a club pro, but aspired to play the tour.  I was not able to find sponsors to allow me to play and work towards the tour, so instead I spent 6 years as an assistant golf pro, then 4 years as a head professional. 

In 1970 I won a few tournaments in the Chicago area, including the Illinois Open.  In 1970, I qualified and played in the US Open at Hazeltine National GC in Chaska , MN.  Also in 1970 made it to the finals of the Tour Qualifying School, which was held in Tucson, AZ.

If interested, I scanned a bunch of newspaper articles, that I had as a scrapbook,  so that I could clean up my office by throwing them away.  Here is a link that I have on my personal webpage.  http://www.abypfcs.com/about.html

That is awesome! I very much enjoyed reading the newspaper articles. Are you still playing? I would assume you have your Am status back?

If we ever have a Team-Bennie golf tournament I know who to look out for ;)

Steve

That is awesome! I very much enjoyed reading the newspaper articles. Are you still playing? I would assume you have your Am status back?

If we ever have a Team-Bennie golf tournament I know who to look out for ;)

Steve
Actually, when I quit being a golf pro and went into golf sales, I applied and two years later had my amateur status back.  Currently, I have so much arthritis in my back that standing and walking are usually painful.  Last year I attempted to play 7 times and only was able to complete 3 rounds.  This year I am playing a little more, but usually with pain and my game is totally gone.

I am however, still a scratch player at the 19th hole!

Sorry to hear that. I'm kind of in the same boat except I didn't have that kind of game. I played to a 2 for many years and Arthur set in my hands, knees, hips and spine. I only play a few times a year now. Played Father's Day with my kids and had a blast, my golf was ugly but managed a 81 with three 3 putts. I can only manage about 6300 yards max now.

You had a awesome game! You need to play more even if it's only a nine here and there. You have to miss it, I sure do.

Steve

I really don't miss the game, as I can never play a game that is even similar to what I used to play.  I play now more for the social aspect and to get out of the house.

I apologize for the thread derail.

I have watched some of the Women's Open, which I seldom ever watch the Ladies play.  But playing in on Pinehurst #2 peaked my interest, and having played the course a few times also adds to the interest.

Michelle starting to show some minor misses, her collar will be tight tomorrow !

Steve

Hopefully Michelle Wie can finally win a golf tournament away from her home state of Hawaii. Might as well be the U.S. Open right?!?

She seems like she's been around forever and at only 24 seems like the grizzled old veteran compared to the 11, 16, and 18 yr. olds on the tour today............

Back