Wrong Prop Or Motor Height

Just my 2 cents, I have run an RX4 on our boat and it's a fabulous prop! There are a bunch of G2's where I run and that's all that they use, Evinrude claims that what motor that prop was designed for. If you search around the forum you'll also see a bunch of threads on engine height, that will make a world of difference. When I spoke to Evinrude directly the guy told me to keep raising it up till it either blows out too much or you have a cooling issue(not to keen on the cooling thing!) Normally as you raise it your RPM also increases, not sure that works across the board, but I've noticed it on every prop I've been trying. ( I'm not sure what's going to cost more, the props or my divorce :D  ). By the way..... your boat is gorgeous and my PADS are in high gear, did I mention my wife's not happy about it! Happy Boating!

Just my 2 cents, I have run an RX4 on our boat and it's a fabulous prop! There are a bunch of G2's where I run and that's all that they use, Evinrude claims that what motor that prop was designed for. If you search around the forum you'll also see a bunch of threads on engine height, that will make a world of difference. When I spoke to Evinrude directly the guy told me to keep raising it up till it either blows out too much or you have a cooling issue(not to keen on the cooling thing!) Normally as you raise it your RPM also increases, not sure that works across the board, but I've noticed it on every prop I've been trying. ( I'm not sure what's going to cost more, the props or my divorce :D  ). By the way..... your boat is gorgeous and my PADS are in high gear, did I mention my wife's not happy about it! Happy Boating!
Shoot... I think it's worth at least 50 cents, lol. I haven't had anyone suggest the RX4 yet. I just did some on-line research and it looks very good. My motor was on the lowest setting (top hole) and I had them raise one. I think I am going to raise one more hole and try a RX4 prop. Can you tell me what pitch you are running? I hear you on the divorce part. I swore to my wife that if we spent the money on this caliber of boat we would need nothing more (crossing fingers behind back). I knew that was far fetched but worth a try. Turns out she knows me better than I thought and hasn't complained too much. Of course it helps that she gets all those little extra things in life that she enjoys. Thanks for the compliment on the boat... we love it and the whole family is having a great time. Good thing about Az is the long boating season. You have a really nice rig there also. Love the color.

Sorry for the delay, I don't get on here as often as I like! if you're running a 17 pitch rebel, I would assume you'd need to drop (?) one pitch for the 4 blade RX4 and run a 16 pitch. they don't show the part number on the evinrude site, but they make it, I tried one on my boat. I could be wrong on the up or down part, either way they make an 18 pitch, the prop guy should push you in the right direction. I found a guy out of new York whose been letting me try different props and it been very interesting to say the least. Just shoot me a message and I can get you the info. I'm a big fan of the 4/5 blade props, I had run a merc high 5 on my last boat and would not want anything else. They just tend to handle and track better and will pull your tube right out from under the riders! It may cost you a mile an hour or 2 but the rest of it is worth it. On my end I started out with a 16 pitch viper @5350rpm, 41mph.Not so good tubing either. I went to the 15 pitch Rebel and only did 5200rpm up two holes. boat did the same top end, 100% better fuel consumption and much better bite and handling, not enough rpm. Then went the 16 pitch RX4....Awesome prop, instant plane, awesome handling, just couldn't get the rpm past 5100. I'm going to try a 15 pitch cyclone next and see what it can do. It's listed as a big performance prop but if it does the job I'll be happy!

Back