Yamaha 115hp noise

TomP

Reaction score
 just received my new Bennington 22SSX with a Yamaha 115hp outboard. In the water today we started the motor for the first time and I noticed a ticking sound similar to a valve tap maybe. My old boat had a mercury and before that a Johnson so not being familiar with Yamaha I asked the mechanic at the marina about this sound. He said they all do it. Is this normal or should I be contacting Yamaha. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

My Yamaha was a 60 HP and did not experience that, I think.  At my age, my hearing is not the best.

I had a Yamaha 115 and it didn't make any ticking noises. Dealer sounds like a slacker. 

Is the noise in gear at low speed, or in neutral? Any difference with rpm change?

Do you hear it at idle in neutral?  Or just when you first put it in gear?  I had a stainless prop on my 115 when I bought the boat and it made a clanking noise when you first put it in gear.  The noise went away with adding just a little bit of throttle.  I changed to an aluminum prop and no noise now.  Otherwise, this 115 4 stroke is quiet.

Back