Yamaha 150 four stroke motor smokes on startup.......normal??

Indian_Lake_Bum

Reaction score
Like the title says we have been noticing lately that on the first startup of the day we get a rather large cloud of blue smoke and the wonderful smell of burnt oil.  This lasts less than a minute and goes away after that.  There are no odd sounds or viberations coming from the motor while the smoke is puffing out  or after it quits.  Originally I thought the marina might have fogged the motor when they winterized it at our docks since this spring was the first time that I noticed the blue smoke.The smoke happened again last weekend after we had used the boat the previous day for roughly 9 hours of cruising and some just floating around)  We have upper 170 - low 180 hours on the '14 yamaha 150 and it is only a little over a year old (took delivery in April '14).  It's still under factory warranty (3 years) and has always been dealer serviced - 20 hour check -up - 100 hour oil change last fall when the dealer winterized the boat.  We only have about 40 hours on the oil change so far this year and the level is up (checked that right after seeing the smoke the first time).  

I need to shoot a video the next time we are at the lake of the startup and blue cloud to post it here to see what you guys think.   What are my options if my dealer doesn't want to look at it and diagnose the problem under warranty?  I'm hoping that everything is fine and if not the dealer will take care of us without any problems....really hate to spend 40K+ on a boat and have the motor crap out in a year.

Pull the dipstick and check to see if you have a strong gasoline smell.

between 170 and 180 hours on the motor.....can't remember exactly how many but around there.  Don't remember a gas smell to the oil when I checked it but I can check it out again......hopefully we make it to the lake tomorrow afternoon since i Have to mow the yard might as well take the boat out for a bit also.

Check the oil level in the am before you start it. Might be overfull.

I just don't think I'd trust that boat anymore, best thing would be to send it to me to keep, wouldn't want to see you stranded you know. Btw, I just love your boat and I'm sure a dealer would take care of it if you do have a problem. Good luck with it.

You should change the oil again, and carefully fill it to the mid mark of the dipstick range after the engine warms up.  Then, watch the oil level closely every time you go out.  If the level rises on the dipstick, it's "making oil."

4 stroke outboards run very, very cool, and they often have problems breaking in the piston rings when new.  Early model Yamaha's SHO motors are notorious for "making oil", but the F150's don't have the same frequency of problems.

Another option would be to drain warm oil into a clean drain pan and  get an engine analysis for $25.  You can Google "Blackstone Laboratories" to get a test kit.  It's cheap peace of mind--information that a dealer or manufacturer cannot refute.

Try running some "Ring Free" additive through it. As others have stated, the rings can be difficult to get seated in, and the carbon left behind from the burning oil only makes matters worse. Not to say that it is really a problem, but that's why Yamaha recommends ring free.

Back