Yamaha 150 or Yamaha 175 SHO max

rzalec01

Reaction score
Looking at a 2022 sx22 one with 150 Yamaha and other with 175 shomax which would you choose and is there a difference in the sound

Looking at a 2022 sx22 one with 150 Yamaha and other with 175 shomax which would you choose and is there a difference in the sound
That 175 HP Shomax is going to get you pretty close in performance to the normal f200. Not too far off from what I have heard from others. IF the cost differential isn’t too much or is simply manageable in the purchase, I’d certainly step up to the 175 Shomax. Always nice to get as much HP up front as possible because it’s the cheapest you’ll ever be able to add it.

Some of the Yamaha folks in here can better go into the details between the f150 vs. 175 Shomax Yamaha’s. There are some distinct differences when you step up to the performance oriented Shomax. However, I’m a Mercury guy myself, and we have a 200 Mercury Verado Pro on our boat. So I don’t pay as much attention to those Yamaha discussions as I could.

Thanks for reply. Just wondering if it will be louder than a regular Yamaha since high output.

Is this a tri toon ? If I am not mistaken 150 HP is the Max HP on a 2 toon

Thanks for reply. Just wondering if it will be louder than a regular Yamaha since high output.
Not noticeable at idle.
At WOT it has a bit louder throaty 'growl'.

as an owner that had the same concerns but with different motors... I have a 250 SHO Vmax. you barely hear it idle... at no wake speed (1000-1200 rpm), it's barely louder. it doesn't interfere with music or conversation... at 2-3k, the wind starts to be more issue than motor noise, and faster than that, its all wind that is the issue.

i wouldn't think twice about it. it's impressive how well they cut the sound levels....

Back