Yamaha 150hp TXR Vs Mercury 150 Hp????

JasonLepore

Reaction score
Which Engine is Better....The Boat I am Looking at is getting the Yamaha 150 TXR hooked up to it.... From what I hear, is that Mercury came out with a New 150hp, but it is in it's 1st year and can have Glitches in the 1st year....Yamaha I hear really have No Issues and are great engines...What is your opinions???? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Engine is Better....The Boat I am Looking at is getting the Yamaha 150 TXR hooked up to it.... From what I hear, is that Mercury came out with a New 150hp, but it is in it's 1st year and can have Glitches in the 1st year....Yamaha I hear really have No Issues and are great engines...What is your opinions???? :unsure:
I have the new mercury 150 and i love it mercury delibritly designed to be tougher than it had to be and from the litterature i have read it beats the yammi in allot of catagories, as far as issues i have had none and isnt that what a warranty is for just my 2 cents

Yamaha has a great rep. But that new mercury sounds like a nice motor. I think either will make you happy. My Yamaha had a mild oil leak covered under warranty, otherwise it has been great.

I doubt you would be unhappy with either choice.

I'm seeing 2011 model Yamaha 150 hp 25" motors @ $12,999 at closeout prices. I see my local Mercury dealer selling their new model 150 hp for just $9,990. That's a 30% difference.

Nuff said. I'd be going Mercury if I was in the market. Needless to say the Merc is cutting edge technology--and can be setup reasonably. The Verado's are just too expensive and too high tech for my simple mind.

Dealer just told me that it's rigged for the Yamaha and he does not like engines that just come out new for that year .. Rather wait for 2 years to get any kinks out.. He does sell both ... Figured I'll stick with the yamaha.. Don't think it's worth changing what its already rigged for over the difference of the 2... Both still good engines

Whats the new. 150 merc? Optimax 2 stroke or verado 2 stroke or 4 stroke 150?

I went with the Merc because all the marina's on the lake are Merc certified. They said they could work on the Yamaha, but it would be harder to get parts etc.

If the dealer ordered the boat rigged with Yamaha controls, steering, etc., it'd best be left with a Yamaha motor. Anything he'd do to changeover to a Merc would be essentially out of your pocket.

This time of the year, you could special order another Bennington spec'd out like you want it with the Mercury controls, etc. from the factory.

Not only is the Merc an absolutely beautiful engine, I understand its larger displacement and other high technology makes it a very torquey motor. Merc's Verado is supercharged, so it's more powerful at some speeds. Unfortunately, any Verado can cost an absolute fortune to setup, with fly by wire throttle, $900 speedometer/tach, built in power steering, and heaven only knows what GPS/depthfinders are integrated into the system. Some of Merc's SmartDrive system can also be put on the new 150 hp motor--like the fly by wire throttle.

Choosing motors is a very difficult decision, with Merc. ETEC, Yammie and Suzuki power plants being so good.

Like I mentioned earlier, my local Merc dealer is somewhat aggressive, and will sell the 2012 Merc 150 for $3K less than I can buy a 2011 Yamaha 150 hp motor. The Merc dealer mounted the new 150 hp on a 22' Lowe tritoon with lifting strakes and claims it pulled 50 mph GPS. At that price, I'm sold. Too bad he's not a Bennington dealer.

If it's pre rigged for yamaha, then stay with that. The merc 150 4 stroke came out last year I thought? I remember reading something on this forum about them last summer and people waiting for the motors to be delivered. I know I saw one in our marina last summer because he was asking me about my pro xs and how I liked it.

With a 150,you should easily hit upper 30's to 40 depending on weight and how clean the toons are.

If he hasn't made a decision by now well........

Pretty old thread here

According to mercury press releases, the 150 four stroke came out in 2012. It is not new for 2013. This is its 2nd year of production.

Todd

According to mercury press releases, the 150 four stroke came out in 2012. It is not new for 2013. This is its 2nd year of production.

Todd
According to the date on the thread, he was looking in 2012. Just had to do it. :)

Riverbill got his merc 150 4 stroke in may of 2012.

So they are out there. Only recall or issue I have heard of is the alternator bracket

But that was fixed after early modules were in customers hands

Todd

Back