Yamaha 250 SHO mounting hole

truckone176

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2275 RCW with the Yamaha 250 SHO. I noticed this past weekend the the motor is mounted on the upper most hole. I was wondering where everyone else has their motor mounted?

If what you are saying it's in the lowest possible position then mine is mounted the same way. I thought it needed to be even lower. When I saw the pic on Bulldog's Cadillac where the camera was shooting toward the stern from a viewpoint almost on the deck, I looked at mine from the same viewpoint. I can see a few inches more of the engine below what I can see on his which is puzzling but it is what it is!

Yes, my motor is as low as it can go but was wondering if anyone else has tried moving it up a hole or two.

You should be able to see your cavation plate when you're on plane.

I just moved mine up this past weekend. also switched props and I can tell I don't like the new setup. Think it has more to do with the prop than the height. Going to switch back to my previous prop sat or sun and I'll report back how I feel about the mounting height then.

I would like to suggest when trying different things (height, prop etc.), you should always do one thing at a time. That way if something changes (for better or worse), you know what it was that made the change.

I would like to suggest when trying different things (height, prop etc.), you should always do one thing at a time. That way if something changes (for better or worse), you know what it was that made the change.

This, definitely. I have a terrible habit of adjusting more than one thing but it's not a big deal because even if I do one thing at a time, NEXT time I won't remember what worked anyway! :D

I'm not an expert but I'm going to bet a little too low is better than a little too high so if you're close, go low! (Remember, I said a LITTLE!)

Mines up on the third hole, no crazy improvement but that position seem best overall with the prop I settled in with.

For sure solid advice. I've got no trailer and boat was going to shop for annual service.....thus I was lazy and had them do both Knowing I can easily change the prop if I didn't like it. Was running a 16 pitch and could bounce it off the rev limiter in lowest setting so figured a 17 in the next hole would be right......wrong. Now back to the 16 to compare apples to oranges re mounting height. Stayed tuned

Are the sho motors 20” or 25” shaft?

Back