Yamaha 90 stalling

jabo

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with a brand new Yamaha motor stalling on a restart? To be clearer, I have a 2016 Yamaha 90 4 stroke fuel injected. The initial start-up is ok. After swimming or whatever for a little while when I go to start the motor again it will act like it is going to run but immediately dies. The next crank it runs like it should. I have talked on the phone to my dealer and all he could come up with is possibly air in the fuel line. I'm hesitant on taking it in right now because it always starts and runs fine on the second try and I don't want to waste summer boat time. Thought I would run it by you all to see if anyone else has encountered this before and what solved the problem. If I can't figure it out, I guess I will make the 1 1/2 hr drive to the dealer after the weather cools off.

I've got the 2015 F-90, but haven't experienced that one. Hope it's fixed quickly for you. Let us know what you find out.

Does it have a fuel bulb? Are you pumping it up every time before starting? It soes sound like air in line. Mine does that sometimes after sitting in sun for awhile, especially after running. I notice my fuel line loses its prime. If I prime, it starts fine. If not, it fires, shuts off, then will fire again and typically run fine. Acts like vapor lock. Mine is only a 20, but all motors only need 3 things to run. Air, fuel, spark. 

It has a bulb, but I've not been pumping it. I figure it being fuel injection it would hold its prime. The dealer told me when we bought the boat that I shouldn't have to pump it unless I ran it out of fuel or after changing the filters, so I took his word on it. I'll try pumping it on start ups this weekend and see if it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
With my F90, I've never pumped the bulb. Even after changing my in-line water fuel separator and thinking I'd have a huge void in the pressure, I didn't have to prime it. 

How many hours do you have on yours? Maybe the filter inside the "hood" is clogged.

I have the 2016 F90 with 55 hrs and have never had this issue. If it has done it from the start i would take it back.

Back