Yamaha Controls Question

H2GO

Reaction score
Well we launched our new pontoon this weekend and I have a question for those who have Yamaha engines. We have the 115 with the standard Yamaha control. My wife was the first to drive it and she was have a very hard time when docking because she couldn't really find neutral easily and she is an excellent driver. I also drove it and sure enough there does not seem to be much of a detent at neutral to feel nor any audible click and it would easily just jump from forward to reverse and vise versa...........not good!. Is this normal for the Yamaha controls? Is there perhaps an adjustment that can be made on the detent? 

IMG_0407.JPG

I don't have an audible click, but I can feel it enter neutral.  It doesn't seem to have a hard edge to it though.  I can tell by the lack of resistance in the handle.

Same as Chrisbert, is a little difficult to tell but thought that was just part of a nice smooth operation versus my friends old clunker that groans & croaks with a jerk when switching between any gears

Same as Chrisbert, is a little difficult to tell but thought that was just part of a nice smooth operation versus my friends old clunker that groans & croaks with a jerk when switching between any gears

Hmm maybe I will play around with the tension screw to see if that helps. I'm wondering if the tension is just too loose? 

Mine finds neutral without issues. I had to adjust my tension as when I let off the throttle is would pull itself back towards neutral.

Did you go through Whites Landing? Boat looks great by the way!

Mine finds neutral without issues. I had to adjust my tension as when I let off the throttle is would pull itself back towards neutral.

Yep White's Landing is our dealer. My wife saw the swingback in the G they had in the showroom but I did not want to pull the trigger on a 200 so this is what we ended up with. Very happy with this one with a 115. More than enough for what we do.

That's what happened with my wife and the double wide lounger on the sslx. It's essentially the same layout as the swingback but you can use both sides at the same time.

I really like whites landing. Jonathan and the group is a good guy. I will never buy from Wilsons.

I'm new to boating and found the same issue. I found that holding the shifter/throttle handle on top may just be to much leverage and not enough feel. I learned that if I gripp the handle slightly lower on the stalk, I get much more 'feel' and don't overshoot neutral. Just a thought...

I'm new to boating and found the same issue. I found that holding the shifter/throttle handle on top may just be to much leverage and not enough feel. I learned that if I gripp the handle slightly lower on the stalk, I get much more 'feel' and don't overshoot neutral. Just a thought...

Thanks Peter I will give that a try. It's driving me nuts not being able to feel neutral. 

Mine did that as well. I would put it at a certain speed, but had to keep my hand on the throttle or it was start slacking off. I could set at 5000 RPM, and within a few minutes, it would be turning 3500 or 4000. I tightened the screw and haven't had any more problems with that.

Yeah I think it is just a feel thing. I have a 90hp yamaha and never had any issues getting it in neutral or knowing when it is in neutral. My biggest issue is the thing is so quiet that I stopped at a dock a couple times to let the dogs do their thing and forgot to turn the motor off!! :huh:  Yamaha's are pretty smooth motors so it may just be a kind of getting used to it kind of thing. Oh and nice boat!!

Last edited by a moderator:
H2GO, nice looking Benny you have there. Been so many new boats on the forum lately that I can't remember if you posted other pictures. Enjoy!

Back