Yamaha F115B Won’t Crank

sharer_12

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2016 Yamaha F115B that won’t turn over. I get continuity between the brown red and yellow wires in the connector behind the key switch, but I don’t get any at the connector back at the motor? Any idea what is going on? I just took out cable steering and installed seastar and now having this issue. Wondering if I did something when pulling cable out and pushing hoses in under the helm?

Forgot to mention, I get that continuity with those wires when the key switch is turned to start. Only have continuity between the red and yellow when the key switch is on. Don’t have any continuity with the brown wire at the motor connector when the switch is turned to start.

Fuel pump turns on with key switch and everything else on the helm works but won’t crank over. I can turn the key on and jump the solenoid and it starts right up but I used a multimeter to determine I’m not getting continuity from the brown wire back at the motor. I do though at the switch connector. Not sure what else is in line between the key switch and the connector at the motor.

I'm only guessing. Did you maybe miss putting a ground wire back on the battery ? Negative side ?

I looked that over and I don’t think so. All the ground wires are connected together on one eyelet and then the main negative cable that goes to the motor. Seems like something simple just isn’t connected somewhere.

I was able to determine last night it was the neutral safety switch in the remote control. Jumped the wires and it started right up. It has a series 704 Yamaha control, has anyone replaced the neutral safety switch in one of those before to let me know how difficult it is?

I don’t know anything about changing that out, but wanted to say congrats on troubleshooting your way to the issue. Hoping others can continue to chime in on what you need to do now. Good luck Sharer!

I was able to determine last night it was the neutral safety switch in the remote control. Jumped the wires and it started right up. It has a series 704 Yamaha control, has anyone replaced the neutral safety switch in one of those before to let me know how difficult it is?

I would test the neutral switch first before replacing - normally open, closed with switch depressed. It's my understanding that sometimes based on shift cable movement neutral may not actually be neutral.

Might just need adjustment unless it's a digital control box. As far as replacing, not sure how hard as I've never had to perform this but Youtube is your friend. My guess is you'll need to disassemble the 704 to access the switch and probably a few screws and staycons.

Back