Yamaha F150 Fuel Filter

tyjy

Reaction score
We are gearing up to do our 20 hour maintenance on our F150 Yamaha and reading/watching videos to make sure we're doing it right. I've read as many tips as possible on this forum but have a question about the Fuel Filter (not the Fuel/Water Separator).

FUEL FILTER CUP GASKET: Part #6P3-24564-00-00

Yamaha does not list a fuel filter on the replacement list but it does say to inspect. We bought the part and thought we may as well just replace while it's off. Is there a trick to removing this or a special tool we should use? From reading it sounds like it may be difficult.

Did YOU change your fuel filter during the 20 hr. maintenance?

Thank you for any advice!

Are you talking about the fuel filter under the engine cowl?

I have the Yamaha T50, so yours may be different, but, on mine it is a nylon? screen that you just clean and reinstall.

Yes it's called an "Primary On-Engine Fuel Filter" and located under the cowl. The filter looks to be inside a longer plastic cover that has a notched edge. I guess you use the notched edge to twist it off. Can't find info on any special tool that one would use or if a standard tool will do it?  This has a picture I found online but this forum won't allow me to copy/paste it.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/yamaha-suzuki-outboards/288503-f150-fuel-filter-change

The cup just screws off.  Most people with very low hours and the fuel filter/separator won't have to change the little filter that often.

I didn't remove mine on my old Yamaha for years, and the cup was welded to the head.  It's a good idea every year to disassemble the fuel filter and reassemble it.

G&B and Bamaman: Thanks so much for your help! We need to be prepared with tools from home as our boat is 3 hours away. (Because of the flooding we only have 15 hours use so far but looks like the end is near!) Hoping to accomplish this maintenance duty this week and wanted to have a good idea how it's all done before getting there.

Back