Yamaha F150B Cowling Removal Question?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
My 2015 2275 GCW is on a lift in a boat house. Can the cowling on a Yamaha F150B be removed from the extended aft deck by one person or is it too risky to try? 

Thanks.

Don't drop it. If you do dive in after it. The cowl for my old 115 Merc was well over $1000 to replace.

I've taken my 150 off from inside the boat before. By myself. Tilt the motor up as far as you can. My ski bar prevents me from tilting up all the way since it gets in the way. I just saw a you tube video last week where they said the cowl weighed 16 lbs. Not sure which motor it was but it was at least a 150 because I don't look at videos of motors smaller than that. Sorry Semperfi.

You should be in that ballpark on weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like was said, don't drop it, it doesn't float.

I was thinking F150 cowlings were about $1400, and then you have to buy the striping kits.  I would think that Yamaha doesn't even have them in Parts as the B series is just getting to dealers' lots.

If you have the OEM ski bar, you'll probably have to tilt the engine a little to get the cowling to come off the engine--where you can get it in the boat.  This is where the extended rear deck is nice--as it gives you room to brace yourself.

Everyone needs to carefully watch their oil dipstick on any fourstroke outboard the first year or two.  I check my oil level every time I go out.

I take mine off with no problem, I have the extended deck.

Back