Yamaha Motor/Sport Arch

JJmax

Reaction score
Im about done with the ordering process like tomorrow have two things on my mind. Im getting a 2275 GCW esp loaded with almost all options and right now the dealer is telling me to Get the Yamaha F250XA 25 transom. I notice alot of people are buying the Yamaha sho 20 transom why is that and would I be better going that route? The dealer says the motor sits really low in the water with the 20 please help..

Also would you do the Sport arch tower or not. I see you would loose seating and a table on this option plus looks like the Bimini is quite a bit smaller. IT doesnt look you can get the stern lounge upgrade either . I think it looks good though Please help

Hi JJMAX,

I have a F250 on a 2013 2550 RSR and i really like it.

I also have the ESP package and with this combination it jumps up on plane quickly.

Some differences the F250 is a 3.3L; 250HP at 5500RPM; and weighs 606lbs. The 250SHO is a 4.2L 250HP at 5500RPM; and weighs 505lbs.The F250 has a wall liner in the cylinder block that can be replaced if there is a problem with cylinder wear or other issue.

The SHO achieves the 4.2L by removing the liner, coating the cylinder block and running larger pistons directly on the coated cylinder wall. I believe the 20" high SHO, with a different torque curve and a a faster hole shot was developed for bass boats to give similar performance to a two stroke engine

Either engine is a quality engine, but I preferred the 25" F250

Hope this helps.

Lefty

Last edited by a moderator:
Im about done with the ordering process like tomorrow have two things on my mind. Im getting a 2275 GCW esp loaded with almost all options and right now the dealer is telling me to Get the Yamaha F250XA 25 transom. I notice alot of people are buying the Yamaha sho 20 transom why is that and would I be better going that route? The dealer says the motor sits really low in the water with the 20 please help..

Also would you do the Sport arch tower or not. I see you would loose seating and a table on this option plus looks like the Bimini is quite a bit smaller. IT doesnt look you can get the stern lounge upgrade either . I think it looks good though Please help
Not quite sure why your dealer would tell you it sits lower in the water, it doesn't, that's why SHO 's have to be on a 20" transom, they have a shorter shaft, thus the need to reduce transom height. Yes it was originally designed for bass boats, that's why the shorter shaft and the over 100lb reduction in weight. I like my SHO, a lot for looks wise, but when comparing the two, the SHO also has a slightly higher amp rate from the alternator, and is almost at max charge rate at 1000rpms. They are both great engines. The F250 has a 2:1 gear ratio, whereas the SHO is 1.75:1, no idea what that means in practical usage terms, but I'm sure someone does!! Haha

As for tower, I'm a fan of the towers, but that is all personal preference. Does going to the 2375 GCW give the opportunity for the changes you were asking about?

I think what he means is the powerhead itself sits 5" lower to the water so more exposed to back wash when slowing down. The drive leg is the same.

Ths SHO gear ratio is numerically smaller so it can run a taller numerically pitch prop for more top end. Typical bass boats run props in the 24" to 27" inch pitch range. Most of us are running 15 to 19 pitch props on pontoon boats.

Todd

I talked to the Yamaha rep at the boat show a year ago about the difference in 250 SHO vs F250 on a pontoon boat. He indicated that the SHO was built for the bass boat market, and only having a 20" motor tells the tale.

It sounds as if the F250 has a torque range at lower rpms than the 250 SHO--where tritoons can better use the torque.

I would like to see a side by side comparison of identical high performance tritoon boats to see where they compare. I'd say go to the lake and compare the two, if possible.

Back