Yamaha Oil Change

ILLINOIS AVE

Reaction score
Hi Guys! How often would you change the Synthetic oil in a Yamaha90? Would you do the oil every season in the fall or go by the amount of hours used per year? I will probably end up with less than 20 hrs.on motor this season.

Thanks! Jeff

I would/have done mine at the end of season, I only had 16 hours on it, but took that to be the 20 hour interval oil change, then just look in your manual. I do mine end of season, that way if you happen to notice something not quite right, you have all winter to get it fixed.

Is your engine broken in? If so, most people do it yearly, although, with synthetic oil, you could go past the recommended oil change, but i'm not sure its worth it.

And like Derrick said, do it in the fall and be sure to check the lower unit for water, bad things happen when water freezes in there ;)

We have just turned 95 hours on our boat this year so far (took delivery in april).  IN that time we did do the 20 hour break in oil change.....granted it was over by quite a bit (38 hours) till the marina could get us in.  We are planning on doing an oil/filter change in the fall as well as lower unit oil change.  I'm guessing that we will have somewhere in the range of 100 hours on this oil change and it will be ready for another change before winter hits here.

Like mentioned before lower unit oil is easy to change out and a whole lot cheaper than a new lower unit.  A quick change of oil gets any water that might have found it's way into the case (little past the seals) out of there before it freezes during the winter months.  Now if you live far enough south not to have to worry about freezing temps and snow you don't have anything to worry about......every 100 hours change it out.

I would/have done mine at the end of season, I only had 16 hours on it, but took that to be the 20 hour interval oil change, then just look in your manual. I do mine end of season, that way if you happen to notice something not quite right, you have all winter to get it fixed.
What, 3 toons, one oil change...... You are lucky to keep one long enough to have to change the oil ..... you just change toons.  :D

What, 3 toons, one oil change...... You are lucky to keep one long enough to have to change the oil ..... you just change toons.  :D
Haha, smartass! I'll have you know I've had 4 oil changes all together 2 on the first and 1 each on the others!

Back