Yamaha performance Tuner from Magnum Tuners?

Wild and Free

Reaction score
I seem to recall a scam discussion about this one on Verado Club.

Simon Motorsports is the most reputable one that I know of.

http://www.simonmotorsports.com/

That really isn't a tuner, it's a fooler.

It replaces the intake air temp sensor, fooling the ecm into thinking you have cooler, therefore, denser air, the ecm adjusts the fuel mixture accordingly, supposedly giving you more hp's.

Simon's is a much better option.

+3 for Simon Motor Sports, that's who my dealer recommended. I'm going to wait until my warranty is expired (or I win the lottery) before I do it... so I wait..., and wait...and wait...

Thanks guys!! I gave Simon motor sports a call and what they would do for my 150 Yamaha is I send in my ECU and they reprogram it, they claim 15-20 HP average gains and rev limiter upped to 6500 rpms for $650 + shipping. Sounds a lot better than a fooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well............since the toon is in storage for the next 6 months I pulled the ECM and sent it in to Simon Motorsports for a reflash.  I am debating on pulling the flywheel and have it lightened, seems to be a very popular mod as well.

I'll be curious to see the difference when you get back on the water. Did you gather some good data prior so you can replicate load, conditions and repeat?

I have a pretty good base of info having had the same engine on two boats since 2007 and 3 seasons to date on this one.  Gonna be a long 6-7 months before getting a good comparison on the lake next spring / summer.  :eek:

Save your money on the flywheel.  I've lightened many flywheels on my outboard race engines over the years. It does have it's applications, but yours isn't one of them.  You have a low rpm 150 hp 4 stroke on a heavy pontoon.  The only thing you'll notice is that you're wallet is lighter.

Save your money on the flywheel.  I've lightened many flywheels on my outboard race engines over the years. It does have it's applications, but yours isn't one of them.  You have a low rpm 150 hp 4 stroke on a heavy pontoon.  The only thing you'll notice is that you're wallet is lighter.
Thanks for the feedback on the flywheel, I was wondering the same thing as it seemed to be more prevelant on high performance race built 2 strokes than 4 strokes althought they market it for all engines.

At $450 I will skip it then.

Just got the ECU back from Simon, now for the 6 month wait to try it out................................................SIGH. :rolleyes:

I was hoping they could tell me the hours on my engine but they couldn't read the engine hours from it they claimed.

Most of the stock F150's will dyno in the mid 160's hp.  I know of a few that have actually been over 170 hp.  They are a pretty stout engine right out of the box, but if you're lucky enough to get one on the high end............. Just think, you could possibly have mid 180's hp! ;)   It should be interesting to see what improvements you see.  I'm betting on a crisper running engine that turns a few hundred rpms's more with the same prop.   That's what I hear anyhow.......I own a Suzuki  :rolleyes:

200-300 rpms would get me to 6K rpms and a bit more power to hold the rpms on the top end for carving corners while pulling tubes and skis is all I am looking to gain versus swapping to a 200 hp engine,

Simon offers Suzuki ECU re-flashes on their site as well.

http://www.simonmotorsports.com/suzukiecu.htm

Most of the stock F150's will dyno in the mid 160's hp.  I know of a few that have actually been over 170 hp.  They are a pretty stout engine right out of the box, but if you're lucky enough to get one on the high end............. Just think, you could possibly have mid 180's hp! ;)   It should be interesting to see what improvements you see.  I'm betting on a crisper running engine that turns a few hundred rpms's more with the same prop.   That's what I hear anyhow.......I own a Suzuki  :rolleyes:
So what do you think I could expect out of the new 200? 210-215??? Hmmm

The new 2.8??  There's the old percentage rule to go by, but it seems that some engines exceed the guidelines while others are closer to the minimum. ;)  It could be in the 180's or up to 220ish hp.

Simon..............who's that? :rolleyes:   

I agree about staying with a well known tuner.  With modern electronics, it's just too easy to fry an engine messing with the timing on a fuel injection system.   The outfit in the link above is mainly offering tuners for motorcycles and UTV's.  I would trust Simon first.

And after you get the ECU reflashed, you're just halfway home.  Then, you're going to have to reprop your boat, and stainless steel propellers don't come cheap.

There's a well known, experienced  boater on another website that got Simon to flash the ECU on his new Verado 225 to 310 horsepower.  Seems he's very satisfied with his performance.

I just checked out the Magnumtuner site.  I don't think I'd be buying a product from a company that is making new performance ECU kits for snowmobiles brands that have been out of business since the 70's.   They have kits for Roll-O-Flex, Scorpion, Chaparral, John Deere, Kawasaki, Moto-ski, Sno-jet, Suzuki, Trail Manta, and my all time favorite since my brother used to be a dealer........Bolens.  No EFI technology back then, just good ol' carburators. ;)

It's a SCAM.

Got the ECM back on and hoping in the next couple of weeks to have it out for some trial runs to see what I gained.................stay tooned for the results. :p

Got the ECM back on and hoping in the next couple of weeks to have it out for some trial runs to see what I gained.................stay tooned for the results. :p
Just wondering what results you got.

I will get some speed runs in this weekend if things work out good, have not been to the lake yet with ideal conditions and the GPS with this season and plan to this weekend, can't get any testing done on the Missouri river where I do most of my boating, fast current too many other boats and too many sand bars to dodge..

I can say several things positive about this upgrade, It runs a lot smoother, vibration at idle in gear is all but gone, doesn't quit anymore during directional changes or just simply shifting into gear and the best thing is it seems to get WAAAYYY better fuel economy, I started with just over 3/4 of a tank of fuel and have been out 6 times this year already and am still right at 1/2 tank of fuel. Also seems to have very smooth throttle throughout the rpm range and seems a bit more snappy at low to mid range rpms.

If things pan out I will get some GPS #'s this weekend with just under 1/2 tank of fuel and looks to be light breeze at under 10 mph all weekend on the lake and low to mid 90's for temps. Will have the usual supplies with ad 2 people on board.

Back