Yamaha Ring Free AND Stay-bil?

tyjy

Reaction score
Throughout the active season we add 1/2 oz of Yamaha Ring Free to every 5 gallons of gas (no ethanol, 87+ octane). Will it do any harm if we also add an additional 1/2 oz of Marine Sta-bil fuel additive along with that Ring Free? (we double/triple the Sta-bil for winter storage, my question is just about the normal running season).

Thanks for your opinions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use both with every drop of gas that goes through my engine. I did some research on using them together and the consensus seemed to be that it was a-okay. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I use both the ring free plus and the yamalube fuel conditioner and stabilizer plus all the time. Of course up here I never know which boat ride may be my last!!! Haha

Thanks guys! (it's so nice to have a place to verify things!  :D  )

I use both ALL the time.

I use both the ring free plus and the yamalube fuel conditioner and stabilizer plus all the time. Of course up here I never know which boat ride may be my last!!! Haha
Did you go through a tank of gas this summer?!?

Ah, another thread resurrected. At least it proves I'm doing the right thing and using the SEARCH function before I post! :D

Why I'm resurrecting this thread: Maybe all of the other dealers where I bought boats didn't care and this one does but he's recommending Ring Free and marine Sta-Bil AND ETHANOL FREE fuel all of the time. I always thought if I go through the extra cost of using non-ethanol (marina or dragged in cans, either way it costs more than auto gas) that there would be no need for any additives. Since the additives I mentioned above are specifically made for combating and preventing the negative effects of 10% ethanol fuel, I'm now wondering WHY bother using ethanol free fuel? Why not just save even more and use auto gas, wouldn't it give the Ring Free and Sta-Bil something to do? It seems redundant to use not only the Sta-Bil but the Ring Free as well, all on top of fuel that is not supposed to have the thing in it those treatments are needed for in the first place. I'm all for overkill but this seems a bit much.

What say you?

I don't have a Yamaha on my boat so maybe I'm not qualified to chime in on this but I am very picky when it comes to my mechanical things. Drilled into me when I was young. I'm not sure people realize that gasoline, ethanol free or not, has a very short shelf life these days. It can be as little as 15 days until it starts to breakdown. Before ethanol gasoline had a shelf life of 9 - 18 months but it seemed to last even longer. Years ago I remember starting things that sat for a couple years and would run fine.

I did my research until I felt comfortable with what I believe I should do. My engine sat for quite a bit of time before I bought it. Last year was "iffy" for the motor running well. I was afraid I might need new carbs. I spent some time this year before putting it in the water and it is (fingers crossed) running really, really well. Like it should. So with all that said I believe that using both is cheap insurance. It seems to me that the Ring Free is more for preventing carbon build up and the Sta-Bil is more for stabilizing the cheap (but expensive) gas. Just my 2 cents.

I preach this at home too with any fellow boaters that care to listen. I hate this "new" gas.

This is interesting.
I'll continue to use Sta-bil regardless of what gas I get.

I have a Mercruiser 5.0L I/O. Do I need something like the Ring Free?

I use Sta-Bil and Seafoam in all the gas I get for the boat, mower, chainsaw, trimmer etc. Kevin, a little Seafoam wouldn't hurt once in a while. It gets rid of carbon deposits on the valves and tops of pistons.

I use the stabil product for ethanol in every tank of corn free gas I can get. As stated previously it helps maintain the fuel longer. I do not use a ring product due to engine type. I actually use a fuel stabilizer in every motor we have except the suv. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound cure or a wad of cash!! :)

I also use Marine Sta-Bil each time I get non ethanol gas.

I used both Ring Free Plus and Yamalube fuel stabilizer and conditioner in every tank, of course, my boat had a lot of downtime!! As stated, the ring free is to prevent carbon build up, and pretty obvious what the other is for :)

Back