Yamaha throttle engagement

Airlifter

Reaction score
New boat in the water 2 days.  Im not in the easiest marina to operate into and out of.   Ive noticed at slow speed the throttle has a null or dead space before engagement of the prop forward and reverse.  Not happy with the throttle location at the helm, it feels low and aft in the seat.  Is there an upgrade to this system or is it an adjustment that I will need to accept.

The more you use the boat, the more you'll get used to it. What are the specs of your boat?

I figured how to update my profile. working on upload of pictures soon.  17' 21 SLXP SPS  yam 150.   I don't feel or hear the change to R or F at slow speed.  

I also have the Yami 150 and from neutral I can feel and hear it moving into either F or R.  I actually like the position of the throttle, it is a bit lower and further aft than my previous one but I find it is a natural and comfortable position for me.  Perhaps you could simply reposition the captains chair.

Part of the problem with the S boats is the cheap helm. They mount the throttle to the face of the helm so you have to move it up and down, not back and forth. 

Had my 207L for three years and I still hate that part. If I could find a boat scrap yard, replacing the helm would be a winter project

After researching the Yamaha  manual I've learned that they have planned for 35 degrees F and R of dead space before it sets in the proper engagement.  The info was right in the book, and I can plan better with it.   A new helm is not an option on a month old boat.

I have the exact same boat as you airlifted, the throttle is lower than my last boat but I am adjusting to it. As for the dead space I was told that there is an idol forward and idol reverse before you engage throttle. I actually like it makes docking a lot easier. Oh and the helm on a splx is not a cheap helm, and throttle is not on face of helm. This is a premium series boat! Good luck and just enjoy it soon you won't even notice anymore.

Back