Zip ties to prevent dock rope unrevelling

You can get velcro straps for your ropes.

Depending on type of rope you are using, I cut and melt the ends of my lines but probably one of the best things is shrink wrap that is used for electric wiring that you slip over the rope (wire) then heat it and it shrinks tight. Works really well and comes in numerous sizes. You can pick it up at Lowes/HD in the electrical tools section.

Smitty

+1 for Smitty. I misunderstood the question. The shrink tubing is a great way to do this.

I'm sure shrink tubing would work, but like Smitty says, just run a small flame from a lighter under the end just enough to melt the tips of the strands. No need to let it catch on fire or turn black, just a small amount of heat will roll back the strands and seal them up. Works great. Been doing it for years, never had anything unravel. Wait a second or two after applying heat, then pinch/roll the ends between your fingers to narrow the tip of the rope and help the strands cool as one solid piece.

Of course, it only works on plastic/nylon. Does not work on cotton or natural fibres.

Zip ties sounds like a good way to rip your skin when winding up a rope quickly (like you would before storing it) as the end passes through your hands. That or your hand (or anything else the rope passes through) pulls it off when you get to the end of the rope.

Last edited by a moderator:
The heat shrink is a good way to do this. I actually use heat shrink with sealing adhesive on mine but it can be hard to find in the right diameter. Another way is to dip it in "liquid electrical tape" also available at Home Depot, etc.

I'm sure shrink tubing would work, but like Smitty says, just run a small flame from a lighter under the end just enough to melt the tips of the strands. No need to let it catch on fire or turn black, just a small amount of heat will roll back the strands and seal them up. Works great. Been doing it for years, never had anything unravel. Wait a second or two after applying heat, then pinch/roll the ends between your fingers to narrow the tip of the rope and help the strands cool as one solid piece.

Of course, it only works on plastic/nylon. Does not work on cotton or natural fibres.

Zip ties sounds like a good way to rip your skin when winding up a rope quickly (like you would before storing it) as the end passes through your hands. That or your hand (or anything else the rope passes through) pulls it off when you get to the end of the rope.
This. Melt the bitter end of the rope.

Back