150 vs 175 four strokes. Is the dealer right?

First, the dealer is right. You simply wouldn't notice too much difference in performance between the 2. That's why on pontoons people either sit at the 150 hp or jump up to a 200+ hp.

I totally agree with everyone about the power steering. Must have! I'd prioritize that above all else, and if it meant staying with a 150 hp, you wont regret it. If you can squeeze your price limit up to do the 200hp + power steering...I'd do that (in full disclosure, that is what we did: 200 hp Mercury with power steering on our boat = 24' swingback).

Difference between the 150 hp and 200 hp at top end is nice, but not Earth shattering. Like others said above probably only 4-6 mph wot. However, the big bonus with the 200hp is maintaining speed and performance better when loaded up. That is really where you would notice the biggest difference between the 150 hp and 200 hp.

I just emailed my dealer about the cost of adding the power steering so I should know tomorrow how much it'll cost. How hard is it to add later? I can squeeze the budget to upgrade to a 200hp or the power steering. Both would be pushing it a bit out of my comfort range. Maybe go with the 200hp and then add the power steering later on once the wallet heals up a bit? What do you guys think?

I bought my boat from the showroom floor without power steering. The dealor added it prior to delivery with no issues. I think you would regret 200 hp w/o power steering particularly when docking, trailering or participating in water sports.

Order it now ,10 year warranty .

I just emailed my dealer about the cost of adding the power steering so I should know tomorrow how much it'll cost. How hard is it to add later? I can squeeze the budget to upgrade to a 200hp or the power steering. Both would be pushing it a bit out of my comfort range. Maybe go with the 200hp and then add the power steering later on once the wallet heals up a bit? What do you guys think?

As said earlier, cry once. Yes, you can add it later, but I'm gonna guess the cost will be 50% higher, depending on your dealer's labor rate. Expect the option to be +/-$2000. As I said earlier, it's the best choice I made when spec-ing out my boat.

BTW, buying a 200 without power steering shouldn't even be permitted in the process, IMHO.

I'd go for adding it now and getting the warranty as well.

Ha Ha. I wish it was that easy :)

We have a friend that when she wants to buy something expensive she takes him out for dinner, drinks and then goes shopping. He never says no! Give that a try.

We have a friend that when she wants to buy something expensive she takes him out for dinner, drinks and then goes shopping. He never says no! Give that a try.

Hahaha ..... I use that too with my wife when I trade cars, buy a gun, buy a camera, a computer, a iPad, etc ...... ;)

My wife and I don't drink so I'm screwed!

mine came with a 175 but i wanted the 200. dealer told me the same thing about going up to a 200. minimal difference in speed and worse fuel mileage. I didn't know anything about power steering though. hydraulic is a little stiff but nothing major

Back