150 vs 175 four strokes. Is the dealer right?

Renegade34

Reaction score
I've been contemplating going with a 175hp over a 150hp but my dealer doesn't recommend it due to minimal noticeable difference in power. I think going to a 200hp would put me out of my comfort zone on the budget but not totally out of the question. Is the dealer right about the no real difference in power? To me 25hp should be noticeable but he says it's not worth it. I'd just like a 2nd opinion from you folks. Thanks.

The boat its going on is a 23' swingback with sps package.

I have a 200 and agree with your dealer. The 150's are strong these days.

Also agree, the 150 is the biggest bang for the buck

Me too.

I agree. A Yamaha 150 probably makes ~165hp anyway.

What is the cost difference between the 175 -150 ?
On the build site ,the difference for the yamaha is $382 ( list price ) .
175 HP 4 STROKE VMAX SHO 25 IN $10,629 VF175XADI
150 HP 4 STROKE VMAX SHO 25 IN $10,247 VF150XADI

For that price take the 175

Last edited:
The dealer quoted me about a $1500 price difference to move up to the 175hp and about $3500 for the 200hp. Plus, from my understanding, if I go bigger than the 150hp then the power assist steering (on top of the Sea Star hydraulic steering) is highly recommended which adds another $1800 or so.

The dealer quoted me about a $1500 price difference to move up to the 175hp and about $3500 for the 200hp. Plus, from my understanding, if I go bigger than the 150hp then the power assist steering (on top of the Sea Star hydraulic steering) is highly recommended which adds another $1800 or so.

Oh my, from my perspective power assisted steering is an absolute must, even with the 150. Some will tell you otherwise, but in my real-world experience, it's the smartest option box I checked on my build.

Search "power steering" here for true enlightenment.

We have the Yammie 150. Love it. I wish I had done the power assist steering. Will look to add in the future.

The SeaStar hydraulic is pretty stiff on the 150, at higher speeds. It's very easy to turn at the slower speeds, but unless I'm going to be pulling someone on a ski or tube, I can set it on a direction, and it stays there.

Well, the dealer is probably correct that you won't see much of a difference from a 150 to a 175. Your boating will probably be much more fun by jumping up to the 200 with power steering. But, I guess it kind of boils down to how you plan on using your new toy. If you just plan on casual cruising and not towing a lot then the 150 would be fine. If you plan on towing skiers and/or tubers then the 200 would probably be more applicable. I've always leaned towards the "buy once cry once" theory and especially with boats it's seems you can never have enough HP.

Well if you're going to cry once might as well make it a big one. Just go with a Seven Marine 627. It's only about $90K for the engine alone. I personally would go with the 200 by trying to squeeze a little more out of the dealer. But, my hopes of someone on the forum owning a 627 is getting closer to becomming a reality.

Well if you're going to cry once might as well make it a big one. Just go with a Seven Marine 627. It's only about $90K for the engine alone. I personally would go with the 200 by trying to squeeze a little more out of the dealer. But, my hopes of someone on the forum owning a 627 is getting closer to becomming a reality.

Maybe TomS will step up to the plate and add 3 of them to a nice center counsel!!!!

But having had regular hydraulic and now power assist, the power assist is worth it 100% It would be a must have on our next boat. My two year old can steer our 200 with it!

The 150 will handle the boat with ease, the best way to describe our jump to a 200 would be...... the 150 will perform well, as you add people, gear, etc you will notice the decreased performance. With the 200 the added weight, people, etc. doesn’t seem to make much difference. You’ll never buy horsepower cheaper than when you purchase the boat!

I must agree, if the 150 and power steering doesn't fit in the budget, then budge it up a little! Power steering is one of the best options, plus in floor storage. The difference between the 150-175 is probably only 2 mph. 200 will get you probably 4-5 over the 150. It would handle more passengers a little better, but 150 is a sweet spot.

We love our power steering. Gave a lot of thought to spending the additional money, so glad we did. Particularly useful in water sports.

Back