20' SLMX Bennington website msrp price compared to dealer. Also options that I need

Presque Isle

Reaction score
I'm putting together a 20'SLMX. How much can I expect dealer to work with me on price? Also any options that you experts would suggest I need?

Black/bronze accents

Black canvas

Woven teak floor

Upgrade captains

Heavy duty rub rail

Expresso teak table

25" tube upgrade

Premium stainless cleats

Pros/cons appreciated

Thank you all. Think spring!

You should be able to get much better than MSRP. Our bBenny stickered at just over $100k and we paid $65k when all said and done. I would say it depends on the dealer.

Elevated Helm, Stainless Steel LED Docking Lights, Interior Lighting, Largest motor budget will allow. I am sure that you will get alot more suggestions from some of the more veteran owners. We are new Benny owners also. This is a great group and welcome to the club.

Wow. I'm nowhere near 100k. I figured couple grand off a 24k MSRP is good? I may be wrong.

You should be able to get much better than MSRP. Our bBenny stickered at just over $100k and we paid $65k when all said and done. I would say it depends on the dealer.

Elevated Helm, Stainless Steel LED Docking Lights, Interior Lighting, Largest motor budget will allow. I am sure that you will get alot more suggestions from some of the more veteran owners. We are new Benny owners also. This is a great group and welcome to the club.

Based purely on reading posts here over the years, around 20% off MSRP is pretty common. 

Hard to know 

I am surprised the total package doesnt include motor or trailer

I know Presque Isle 

You have 3 Bennington Dealerships near you  

Shop all 3 for Best Price, Service and Dependability  

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
It does include 50 hp Yamaha. No trailer. I know everyone will say to upgrade motor but I did it on my other boat. And that's the boat for fishing/skiing. Toon is to go from point A to point B without spilling my beer.

Dealer volume matters some .Proximity to Bennington as far as shipping  costs .  Check out the dealer service departments .Don't buy from one dealer to save a few hundred  then take elsewhere for service .It will get serviced ,but they most likely will take care of their customers first 

Here is what I would add.

Dimensional chrome logos- they make the boat look classy

Stainless docking lights - again, they class up the boat

Solid keels- I think this just makes sense having a beefier piece of metal along the bottom of the tube.

Tilt wheel- This is a must have option to me

underdeck wave shield- This will really change the comfort of the ride. Trust me

I agree with Andy.  Since you're going with a 50, maybe the underdeck wave shield isn't as necessary, but someone with a 50 can comment.  The 3D logos are nice.  Solid keels and the rub rail is a good idea.  You mentioned upgraded captains chair - I'm not sure why they even offer the lesser chair.  Tilt steering is used ALL the time on my boat. 

If you get docking lights, definitely get the stainless ones. They are placed right where people often step getting on our boat, so metal is better than plastic, and they are flat instead of sloped in case they do get stepped on.  I always thought the plastic ones were more of an accident waiting to happen, and might break.  If you won't use the boat at night, maybe just skip them.  While I've never tripped over mine, they are kinda in a bad spot.  Other manufacturers have put the dock lights up in the fence, which makes sense.  The stainless lights look very nice though and add a lot of class, I agree 100% with that, but they are not cheap.  I've never used mine, but I'm not out after dark.

I had a 50 on a previous boat without the wave shield. In my opinion, even with a 50 it makes a difference. Unless you are always going to be on glassy water.

Regarding the 50 itself, I said the same thing. It's not a racer. Until you have to get off the water because of an oncoming storm.

Nobody ever says they bought too much motor.

Brian

From what I understand "M" has the larger standing area outside the fence on now and the "X" should denote the exterior rails. I heard the "M" came from " Michigan" dealers requesting the larger bow platform area.

Don't get your hopes up for getting 35% off.  Do some comparison pricing and be happy with the deal you got and the boat you get to enjoy, not always wondering or fretting if you could have squeezed out another penny.  There are a lot of factors involved, but something in the range of 20% off MSRP is more common than 30+%.    

I agree with the above post. I think 20-25% is reasonable depending on the region, competition, and volume. However, a great dealer that will take care of you in any situation is definitely worth the potential extra cost on the front end.

There are a lot of old threads on this subject you could go look up if you wanted, but I recall some saying their dealers didn't come down off MSRP at all.  It's all about supply vs demand.  Buyers vs sellers market.  Spring vs fall.  Excess vs scarce inventory.  Lots of factors. 20-25% is average, I'd say.

Also some who have done business with far away dealers to get the lowest price have ended up regretting it in the long run

You have to be willing to take your boat back to a far away dealer for warranty.

I did this, and I've had a couple warranty items, but my dealer has been extremely accommodating by mailing me any parts (broken bimini knob, dashboard switch, simple stuff like that).  I had a local welder weld a hole in a pontoon, and was reimbursed by Bennington through my dealer.  Everything has been done by mail so far and has gone just fine.  If there was a major item, I'd have to bring my boat back, and I knew that buying the boat, but you could buy from a local dealer and then later move out of state, and find yourself in the same situation.

Not sure what the difference is in the SLMX and the SLX, but my SLX has more room in front of the playpen (compared to the pic with the girls on-board).  

Back