2017 ssx

jrm2ile

Reaction score
Looking at buying a 2017 Bennington 22 ssx with a 115 hp Yamaha.  Any advise on this purchase?  Is the motor large enough for the boat?  Any pricing gouge would be much appreciated.  Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Tons of posts on here about going from a 115 to 150. It all depnds on what you're needs and wants are. A good start is this one.

Two toons?

three toons?

elliptical toons?

ellipticals and a 115 should be pretty snappy. Tubing six kids on three tubes might be doggy but it should Cruise 20. My 207L with 70hp two stroke will do 17.

Fully undersatnd that. Somtimes spending a litle extra on the front end will save you $ in the long run. Multiple things to think about here. When I built mine I looked at it from all angles and wanted to make sure I'd be able to sell it quickly if need be (even during the winter) and be able to keep it long term. My Brother-In-law has a 2006 brand X with a 250 on it. even today he has no wants of buying another boat. Prior to this one, he had 4 different boats in 3 season, all becuse he could not find one that suited his family. Started with a v-hull then to a two toon with a 115 then a deck boat, and finally his 250. I'm not saying you need the biggest motor, but go with something you will appreciate long term. Below is Kaydano's first post. Not how he already regrets his decision and later corrects it, but pays for it.

As I stated I'm not pushing you to get the biggest motor possible. Just sharing that you can spend a few extra $'s now to avoid spending a lot more later. This goes for two toon vs sps vs, and even elips. It all depends on how you intend to use the boat.

As has been said by many, it really depends on what you're going to do with the boat.  I'll say this: I know the price of that F150 vs. the F115 is nearly double ($7,815 vs $3,997), and you're only picking up 35 HP in the deal.  However, that's a 30% increase in HP.  You're going to keep this boat for 5-10 years.  If you're going to do ANYTHING in those 5-10 years that will want/need more horsepower, it's going to cost you A LOT MORE than $3,820, as you're not going to be able to strap on 35 more horses.  Once you buy that motor, you're done.  Pay once, cry once.  Everything else on that boat is a "nice to have".  The motor - and the horsepower - is a must have.

IMHO... if you can  .... 150

Didn't you hear?  They don't make 115s anymore.

Fully undersatnd that. Somtimes spending a litle extra on the front end will save you $ in the long run. Multiple things to think about here. When I built mine I looked at it from all angles and wanted to make sure I'd be able to sell it quickly if need be (even during the winter) and be able to keep it long term. My Brother-In-law has a 2006 brand X with a 250 on it. even today he has no wants of buying another boat. Prior to this one, he had 4 different boats in 3 season, all becuse he could not find one that suited his family. Started with a v-hull then to a two toon with a 115 then a deck boat, and finally his 250. I'm not saying you need the biggest motor, but go with something you will appreciate long term. Below is Kaydano's first post. Not how he already regrets his decision and later corrects it, but pays for it.

As I stated I'm not pushing you to get the biggest motor possible. Just sharing that you can spend a few extra $'s now to avoid spending a lot more later. This goes for two toon vs sps vs, and even elips. It all depends on how you intend to use the boat.

My very first post on this site was whether to get a 115 or a 150???

What a newb I was!

I have a 22 SSX with a Yamaha 115, a fairly new boater and went through a similar dilemma when I was building our boat.  I had rented multiple size boats/motors the year before so I was familiar with the different HP's.  I have a large family and often have multiple kids on board tubing/knee boarding...etc.   I initially wanted the 150 but was basically unwilling to spend the money.  Instead I went with the lifting strake package and the dual stern gates/extended deck.  The strakes are great and get the boat on plane very quickly. The dual stern gates give us a good amount of extra room in the back.  Basically, the 115 works well for what I use it for - fishing, relaxing and water sports.

On a side note, these forums are filled with some great people with years of experience in the boating world.  It has pretty much been my primary go to place for advice.   

Give us an idea here of how you plan to use the boat, what you may have had in the past and what you may expect from this boat. There's a ton of information on this site and plenty of guys/gals to offer information who have been in your shoes. In the end we just hope to get you in a boat that you will not have any regrets with and can fit the budget. Be prepared for the honest truth, but be certain it's only in your best interest!! 

Give us an idea here of how you plan to use the boat, what you may have had in the past and what you may expect from this boat. There's a ton of information on this site and plenty of guys/gals to offer information who have been in your shoes. In the end we just hope to get you in a boat that you will not have any regrets with and can fit the budget. Be prepared for the honest truth, but be certain it's only in your best interest!! 

You forgot: "Or else you will get PADS!"

I think one of the biggest performances steps up to the next size is a 115 to a 150.  If you can find the right deal for your budget get the 150.  The performance difference between a fully loaded boat with a 115 and a fully loaded boat with a 150 is night and day.

We also considered the 115 but after belonging to this forum for several months we busted the budget and went with the 150 with sps.   No regrets and we are very glad we acted on the advice given.

Looking at buying a 2017 Bennington 22 ssx with a 115 hp Yamaha.  Any advise on this purchase?  Is the motor large enough for the boat?  Any pricing gouge would be much appreciated.  Thank you

You will find there are a lot of folks who like to go fast with their pontoon on this forum. Also these same folks like to spend your money for you  :D . The advice is based on someone else's opinion from his or her perspective and here is mine. I've had many different boats over the years and my previous one to my new Benny was a 22 foot pontoon with a 50hp. We had that boat for 19 years and loved it. The used market went crazy so we sold it. We just upgraded to a 24SSBXP with a 115 Yamaha and absolutely love everything about it. The new Benny was quite a bit heavier and so upgraded to the 115 and it has more than enough for us. The boat with just me will do 30.1 mph and with the family easily 25 mph. It does not labor at all and it is nice and quiet. If you want to fly around the lake, tow tubes with several people or just show off and brag about having a big motor then consider spending the extra $5-6K. For us it was not a responsible choice thus an easy decision.

The 115 works for some, but tricks many.  In my opinion, the 115 is a dirty, evil motor size and should be banned from all production!  That's just me though.  It works for some. 

So the question you should ask yourself is will the 115 work for me, or will I get sucker punched?  

i had the same dilemma last year.   Took into consideration what everybody in the forum said.   Negotiated with the dealer to get the 150 instead of the 115.  Couldn't be happier.  Nothing is worse than having a boat and saying i wish i had more power.  

As has been said by many, it really depends on what you're going to do with the boat.  

Truer words have not been spoken. A friend of mine has owned numerous boats over his life, some with hundreds of HP and some, not so much. He just "upgraded" to a 20' toon with a 50 HP because it suits his needs now and likely into the future. The point is, carefully examine what your typical usage and passenger count will be now and in the future. Then, depending on the answer to that question, a 115 might be more than enough or, it might not. Either way, good luck and welcome to the club...

I will say I got a 90 on my 21 SLX but also had some budget restraints. With just me and the wife I hit 27 MPH and the wife says that is fast enough. I myself though wish I would have went with the 115 at least. Still the 90 is way better than the 40 on my old boat. It is what it is and I am happy with the 90. It does not go to fast which makes the wife happy and it almost triples the speed of my old boat which makes me happy. That said if you got the money go with the 150 if not the 115 is a fine motor.

Personally, second to what you would like to do with your "Benny" is what size Lake are you on. If it is a Public Lake, State Park , or Great Lake I couldn't imagine going small as need and necessity may require more. Granted here our state parks have 10hp maximums!

I am on a small private lake, for me anything over the 90 didnt make sense but if our lake was anything over 500 acres a 150hp would of been a necessity despite what I would be doing with it. On a Great Lake 250hp would be the motor of choice for me ......

Just my opinion 

18320536_1762264050730905_73732149148811565_o.jpg

Back