2021 188 SVL Mercury 60 HP

bryanparke

Reaction score
We are new to pontoon boats. Bought ours brand new this year and I’m just trying to get an understanding of what I should expect as far as RPM, speed, getting on plane, throttle control, etc.

Some observations:

1) our max RPM is 3,500 with throttle fully forward
2) the last 2 inches of throttle make no effect on RPM at all
3) speed is around 18mph
4) it’s difficult to determine the best spot for the trim. With our ski boats I would typically trim up a little to reduce drag and get on plane smoothly

With the above observations I took the boat back to the dealer at the 20 hour mark. They indicated I should be getting higher RPMs. They determined that they installed the wrong prop when I bought it, they swapped it out for one that is 2 pitches less than what they had.

New observations:

1) with the new prop the max RPM is now about 4,200
2) speed has dropped to around 16

does any of this make sense? Should I be getting more than 4,200 RPM and 16mph? Or maybe this is what is expected on the 188 with the 60HP mercury.
Thanks for any input/feedback.
Bryan

This might give you a little insight on expected performance.
You might also check your tach setting to verify its correct cylinder selection. Your top speed isn’t way off vs. bulletin I attached but your rpms are waaaaaaay off in the initial info @ 3500rpm. The bulletin peaks at 20.8 @ 5500 rpm. It’s a different brand boat but it’s darn close in size.

Last edited:
We are new to pontoon boats. Bought ours brand new this year and I’m just trying to get an understanding of what I should expect as far as RPM, speed, getting on plane, throttle control, etc.

Some observations:

1) our max RPM is 3,500 with throttle fully forward
2) the last 2 inches of throttle make no effect on RPM at all
3) speed is around 18mph
4) it’s difficult to determine the best spot for the trim. With our ski boats I would typically trim up a little to reduce drag and get on plane smoothly

With the above observations I took the boat back to the dealer at the 20 hour mark. They indicated I should be getting higher RPMs. They determined that they installed the wrong prop when I bought it, they swapped it out for one that is 2 pitches less than what they had.

New observations:

1) with the new prop the max RPM is now about 4,200
2) speed has dropped to around 16

does any of this make sense? Should I be getting more than 4,200 RPM and 16mph? Or maybe this is what is expected on the 188 with the 60HP mercury.
Thanks for any input/feedback.
Bryan
As a comparison data point, we have a 20' S with a Yamaha 50. WOT rpm are 5400. Top speed is ~16 mph with 2 people and moderate load.

Our prop is a 13 5/8 X 13.

This might give you a little insight on expected performance.
You might also check your tach setting to verify its correct cylinder selection. Your top speed isn’t way off vs. bulletin I attached but your rpms are waaaaaaay off in the initial info @ 3500rpm. The bulletin peaks at 20.8 @ 5500 rpm. It’s a different brand boat but it’s darn close in size.

That is great info, thank you!

You might also check your tach setting to verify its correct cylinder selection.

I had no idea this was possible, do you have a reference on how to do this?

Thanks again!

That is great info, thank you!

I had no idea this was possible, do you have a reference on how to do this?

Thanks again!
Ones I’ve seen in the past have a dial on the back that has numbers correlating to number of poles.

Here’s a pic of one.
1631638290743.jpeg

Back