2022 boat shows are beginning to take a hit... be sure to verify yours is still happening

goldnrod24

Reaction score
Boat shows across the country are being cancelled for 2022, with an eye toward a more stabilized market in 2023. Be sure to check the status of the show(s) near you.

You heard it here first, folks.

Boat shows across the country are being cancelled for 2022, with an eye toward a more stabilized market in 2023. Be sure to check the status of the show(s) near you.

You heard it here first, folks.
Not surprised, but a GREAT reminder for everyone. Thanks!

There was a snowmobile show 2 weeks ago about an hour and a half away. I was surprised they even bothered, as you pretty much cannot buy new 2022’s for most manufacturers/models. The industry is nearly sold out for this model year. Like boats and PWC, the used snowmobile market is so inflated as a result of the lack of new inventory options. It’s crazy right now!

Last edited:
The Mid Atlantic Boat show is slated to be here in Charlotte in February 2022. We'll see what happens....It seems like all kinds of other shows have been taking place here....... Garden and landscaping shows, Gun shows, Knife shows, Hot tubs and spas shows, Christmas shows etc etc. Seems like some things are getting back to " normal".

The Seattle boat show is scheduled for January 2022. I'm hoping it'll still be on.

They already cancelled our spring boat show as nobody will have any boats to show.

The Charlotte auto show was a couple weeks ago. Normally the cars are packed in and the main floor is full. This year there was plenty of spacing between cars and even curtains to block part of the floor. I don’t expect the Mid-Atlantic show to have boats side by side.

The Charlotte auto show was a couple weeks ago. Normally the cars are packed in and the main floor is full. This year there was plenty of spacing between cars and even curtains to block part of the floor. I don’t expect the Mid-Atlantic show to have boats side by side.
We were going to go but it's Dangerous taking my wife to those shows!

The boat show in Birmingham, AL has been canceled for this year, or as they say postponed until January 2023

With "most" manufacture's selling everything they can build ( for top $$$$$$ ) , I cant see the return on investment to participate in a show ? Just my opinion .

With "most" manufacture's selling everything they can build ( for top $$$$$$ ) , I cant see the return on investment to participate in a show ? Just my opinion .
I guess they are just promoting the future ? Who knows what their motive is ? Though I WILL say every dealer I've been to within 2 hours of here has boats on-site that are not sold. And that's 5 of them with others I haven't been to that I know has boats. I was told by one dealer that they are holding off on ordering against their dealer slots so customers that want a custom boat can use those slots and get their boats quicker.

Last edited:
I thought about the future also, but models will change. I would not have ordered my 22 QCW without seeing it first . Myself there is no way I would purchase a model that had been on display at a show unless what ever may have been damaged ( flooring and furniture, etc ) had been replaced, same warranty as new and a Substantial Discount.

Our show, and others nearby, has also been cancelled due to lack of inventory. So far I have been assured that my pre-ordered Waverunner will arrive on time…but fingers crossed.

I would not have ordered my 22 QCW without seeing it first.
Jack your statement reminded me of what our old neighbor experienced before they moved to Florida. First they sold their boat to a couple from SC. sight unseen! The couple saw their ad on Craigslist, called them up, wired the money and picked it up 2 weeks later. Never looked at it, no test drive. Who does that?!? That same neighbor put their house on the market as "coming soon" on a Wednesday for $985000. Thursday they had 27 requests for a showing. Friday they had 8 offers on the table and not a single person has stepped in to view it. They sold it sight unseen on that Sunday to a couple from Connecticut for $1.1 million. I don't like buying flip flops without looking at them first much less buying a boat or a house!

Talked to my dealer yesterday when I went down to check on my boat cover after the snow and he said the Mid Atlantic Boat show in Charlotte is still on February 10-13. The only bad thing is the last day of the show is Super Bowl Sunday. Who wants to buy a boat on Super Bowl Sunday?!?!? Plus they have to break down their display and get their boats out!

Talked to my dealer yesterday when I went down to check on my boat cover after the snow and he said the Mid Atlantic Boat show in Charlotte is still on February 10-13. The only bad thing is the last day of the show is Super Bowl Sunday. Who wants to buy a boat on Super Bowl Sunday?!?!? Plus they have to break down their display and get their boats out!
Yeah ,Im glad Indy is not going to be in the Super Bowl ( sorry ,Colts fans ) mine is scheduled to start production the day after .

Jack your statement reminded me of what our old neighbor experienced before they moved to Florida. First they sold their boat to a couple from SC. sight unseen! The couple saw their ad on Craigslist, called them up, wired the money and picked it up 2 weeks later. Never looked at it, no test drive. Who does that?!? That same neighbor put their house on the market as "coming soon" on a Wednesday for $985000. Thursday they had 27 requests for a showing. Friday they had 8 offers on the table and not a single person has stepped in to view it. They sold it sight unseen on that Sunday to a couple from Connecticut for $1.1 million. I don't like buying flip flops without looking at them first much less buying a boat or a house!
"Coming soon" homes can't be shown to prospective buyers. That's why noone ever set foot in it before it was sold. Offers can be made and accepted, which it sounds like did happen. At least that's the law in NC. That technically means it is to be sold, but is not ready yet. It stirs up interest, but it can't be shown until everyone that wants to see it can. It is a controversial real estate sales ploy, but is gaining traction in today's markets. It limits the offers to ponder, because most wouldn't offer on what they haven't seen, but it can backfire in that you may miss on a higher offer.

Interestingly enough, my wife and I have an opportunity right now to buy a 2021 tritoon that the manufacturer has been using as a "demo". They asked a local dealer to sell it for them. It has about 50 hours on it, and comes with the full 10 year warranty. We are very, very familiar with the particular model. It's top of the line. But we won't see this specific boat until after we buy it outside of pictures. We could wait till it gets here, but might lose it. It's offered to us at >20k less than one would pay if it were new. MSRP is about 130k and sells for around 105k normally. 82k in this case. We're still contemplating it though it won't be here to pick up for maybe 4 weeks. The dealer is getting every little detail for us as I write.

Last edited:
Our show, and others nearby, has also been cancelled due to lack of inventory. So far I have been assured that my pre-ordered Waverunner will arrive on time…but fingers crossed.
I hope your PWC is on time!

Last year was a circus for those that ordered them. 2021 inventories pretty much sold out for the entire year by May’ish. We got a PWC in July due to a cancelation by those that ordered it the previous Feb. Our main local dealership has seen the same with snowmobiles both last year and this year. They said they are anticipating the same shortage for PWC again this year, but are uncertain as their boat inventory has improved slightly. Fingers crossed for you.

OOC, what kind of Waverunner are you getting? Always curious in peoples interests when it is a non-pontoon/Bennington competitor purchase.

Back