2023 College football thread

I saw this beer and immediately thought of Daril!

897926-cd7b31ac7e9ae46c6ac169be62028874.jpg

Well, we will see what the chaos of the new college sports environment brings to this upcoming football season. From the transfer portal to NIL, to the evolving conference landscape, it’s hard to keep up with. Heck, we basically lost our multi-year starting QB to Auburn over a NIL deal that included more money and a shinny new Cadillac. :rolleyes:

That said…GO GREEN BABY!!! ;) :cool:

I'd like to follow that up with War Eagle. I really don't know if he will be the starter. I hope he is better than what was displayed last year. However, I really don't like the transfer portal or the nil but this is the world we are living in right now.

I was reading today that in 2011, Jim Delaney (the B1G commissioner at the time) had proposed a partnership between B1G & PAC 12 that would have prevented poaching teams from one another's conference. The PAC 12 backed out of agreement in the 11th hour. Hindsight being what it is, that was a significant miscalculation.

The irony of the PAC 12 begging the Mountain West to merge together! LOL

I don't think the B1G will take their foot off the gas until the land Notre Dame.

My biggest gripe is that there is no way for mediocre conference teams to compete. MAC for example. These teams will soon be better suited to compete in FCS than FBS.
That, and 99% of the players will not see any money, yet will be grinding it out at every practice just as hard as the 1% getting stupid amounts of money.
Charles Barkley was on 60 minutes 2 weeks ago and said pretty much the same thing. The schools with the money will get the players, and we will end up with 25 teams competing for everything year after year, as for the rest, mediocrity will be the way of the day!

Well, we will see what the chaos of the new college sports environment brings to this upcoming football season. From the transfer portal to NIL, to the evolving conference landscape, it’s hard to keep up with. Heck, we basically lost our multi-year starting QB to Auburn over a NIL deal that included more money and a shinny new Cadillac. :rolleyes:

That said…GO GREEN BABY!!! ;) :cool:

I'm behind ya... Living in Ohio as a transplant, I'll root for the Spartans rather than the maize and blue...

but, as an alum, Roar Lions Roar! ;)

iu

Saw this last night, but could not find a second source to verify so I checked again this morning. Again no 2nd source to verify.
My hunch is that it's true, but was not supposed to be announced yet and someone at realdawg had an inside source?

EXCLUSIVE: Stanford and Notre Dame’s to Join Big 10 Conference

This article is for Premium Subscribers Only Sign up Today and Get All the Benefits of a Premium Subscription! Username Password Remember Me Forgot Password
realdawghuskies.com
realdawghuskies.com

This is the crown jewel the B1G has been pursuing.

This is the crown jewel the B1G has been pursuing.
If true, it sure is.

This would be the culmination of decades of trying to get Notre Dame into the conference, and given the influx of Pac 12 teams joining, combining Stamford with a Notre Dame entry would be perfect. We were just talking about this scenario this weekend at our cottage and I was the naysayer thinking ND wouldn’t do it. But there TV deal with NBC is up in 2024 and they are trying to renegotiate for slightly more than what Big Ten schools get per year.…and Big Ten has NBC already in their new multi-network deal.

Not sure how I get this off my mind pending some sort of verification one way or another. Fingers crossed!

That said, I am not a fan of these conference changes due to TV network deals. The PAC 12 is a venerated conference, and was one of the big 5. It’s history and traditions are what college sports are all about. The beginning of its end starting last year with USC and UCLA coming to the Big 10 is tragic. Their dissolution due to not securing a juicy media deal is very sad for college sports IMHO.

Last edited:
Got so mad about the NIL bull-crap that I almost quit following NCAA. Finally came to the realization that I was the loser and college football would go on without me (go figure). So anyhow, would like to rejoin the Bennington Fray and promise to be good if accepted. With that I will say GO TIGERS, and whip the Blue Devils on Sept 4.
IMG_2653.JPG

It's going to be the Big 20 pretty soon!!!

I may not be a 'Bama fan, but this right here is the ultimate college ball experience...without a single snap.

Back