GeorgeDand

Reaction score
I plan to get a new 2274 GL at the upcoming boat show. I have owned a runabout for over 20 years, so I'm not new to boating. However, this will be my first pontoon. I plan to keep the runabout (19' with a V-8 I/O) so I'm not looking to do any skiing or boarding behind the pontoon. I would like to be able to have 6 to 8 adults on the pontoon and still be able to pull the grand kids on a tube. Will be going with a Mercury, and don't know whether to go 90, 115, or even 150. With just the adults, I'd be satisfied to run 20 mph @ about 2500 rpm. Will any of these engines do that, or am I unrealistic? I'm used to what my runabout will do, but I don't know what to expect from a pontoon boat. Any advice?

Tons of posts on pros n cons, but everyone always says, go as big as you can afford (within reason). 90 wishes they had 115,115 wishes they had 150 .... Etc ......

Lakebum makes a great point too, I believe it's a value proposition come sell/trade time.

Smitty

Don't go with less than the 150, you won't regret it.

George,

We have a 2012 22 SSI w/150 Mercury 150 4 stroke, the Bennington tops out at 42 mph (gps) with 6 adults. We have the 3 tube XL performance package. Not sure what setup you are getting, I don't think a standard 2 tube pontoon will reach 20 mph @ 2500 rpm! We love the 150 Mercury, quiet, lots of torque. No regrets, always get as much HP as you can. It's better to throttle back, than to wish you had more!

RiverBill

Appreciate the responses thus far.

Seems the current input is to go with the 150 hp, however, the 150 hp is about $3500 over the 115 hp, then with the recommended power sterring for another $3000, and the third log for $3000, the price goes up about $10,000. That's a tough pill to swallow! Curious what folks with the 90 or 115 hp are thinking? Would they spend the $10k?

George,

Just a quick note, My experience tells me that a standard 2 tube pontoon with a Mercury 115 hp would top out around 28 mph at 5800 rpm (WOT). The Mercury 90 hp would be around 25 mph or less @ WOT!

RiverBill

RiverBill is correct, my 2275RL with a Yamaha 115 does 27 WOT with clean toons. I don't pull kids and am happy with my 115 but you will notice a slow down once over 6 adults as well

I also experience average speed of about 27 on my 24SLi with a 115hp Merc. That is with two adults and three kids on board. I got 29 once or twice with two people onboard. Once the logs get dirty the speed drops off quick.

If the delta was 10K then I wouldn't go to the 150 - although for less $$ I almost certainly would.

We do pull the kids on tubes and the 115 is fine. However, if I had a 1/2 dozen adults on board and tried pulling the tube it would not be as exciting of a ride.

Shawn

I have a the 2012 2274 GL with two tubes and a Yamaha 115, and I went with this setup for the exact same reason that is giving you pause.....I couldn't justify the extra 10 grand for a pontoon boat. I hit 20 to 25 mph at 5500rpms and that is plenty fast for cruising. Typically we stay in the 15 to 20 mph range and we are moving at a good clip.

Appreciate the responses thus far.

Seems the current input is to go with the 150 hp, however, the 150 hp is about $3500 over the 115 hp, then with the recommended power sterring for another $3000, and the third log for $3000, the price goes up about $10,000. That's a tough pill to swallow! Curious what folks with the 90 or 115 hp are thinking? Would they spend the $10k?
Well, I bought my first boat, had never owned a boat before and didn't even know if I would like boating. Found out I did and my 09 2075GLi was no longer enough with a 90hp, looked at putting on a 115hp since I only had about 24 hours on my boat and liked the size of it. Decided that would be pointless and went and spent about triple the cost of my first one, 2275 RCW with a 200hp SHO ESP. Spending the money at the time made me thinking was an idiot, since I hadn't even ridden in a boat with ESP, we'll one ride was enough. I never once after that cared how much it cost because it was worth every penny. That being said, now I'm thinking of selling my 1 summer old boat because those darn Bennington designer's did such a great job with the tower my wife and I want it now!! Does it ever end???? :)

Derrick

Derrick,

I couldn't be more jealous if you get an R with a tower. Thinking same power plant or bigger?

Derrick,

When you got your new boat did you trade the old one in to the dealer or sell it as a oprivate sale? Don't really think it wil happen but I also have the urge to splurge, just afraid to go to my dealer and ask because once I do that I know I'll be hooked :lol:

Does it ever end???? :)

Derrick
NO !!!! We had (have) a 6x15 GillGetter (6x12 deck) We started with a basic 20' "S" model, then thought couple grand more, go to a base 22' "G", then thought hell, let's throw in some options on the "G", next thing you know ..... we end up with a leftover loaded "2275 RLi" (8'6" x 22' deck) at dealer ....... started with a MAX payment budget of $150/mo ....... ummmmmm $225 mo. later ...... BUT, I DO NOT REGRET IT ONE SECOND. Well ok, maybe from October-March ..... it sucks making those payments while it's sitting in storage...... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Derrick,

When you got your new boat did you trade the old one in to the dealer or sell it as a oprivate sale? Don't really think it wil happen but I also have the urge to splurge, just afraid to go to my dealer and ask because once I do that I know I'll be hooked :lol:
I traded in, dealer was great, gave me a very fair price I felt, especially since we had all the "issues" with it getting backed into while fueling up to take it TO the dealer! Haha I try not to think of that day too much! (even though a couple members here LOVE to remind me about it!! ;D ) there is a boat show at the end of February that I am trying to go in and "help" my dealer at selling Bennington, not sure if it will work, but they're pretty busy and could use a hand, so even though I far from know much, I guess I know a little which is a help. Who knows, I should have brought my boat down there and tried to sell it!! Haha

Derrick,

I couldn't be more jealous if you get an R with a tower. Thinking same power plant or bigger?
I'm torn on that, I always think, "man we should have got the 250", but really, the 200 burns regular fuel, still does 42mph, so do I really want the extra expense of premium? Dunno. The only downfall of my SHO is that my local Yamaha dealer doesn't know tons about them. I'm the only person around here that has one. Also thought about the inboard, but the wife really doesn't think she wants to go to a 25 footer, but we love the look off the rear loungers. Maybe if I had the big storage shop built out at my parents cottage, but right now it is parked in my single car wide driveway. We'll see.

Derrick, saw the 25" Q with the sport tower at the Cincinnati Boat show Saturday. You would look good in it. It had the Yamaha 350 O/B hanging on the back. It is a monster. I love our I/O but that motor on the back is very impressive.

Derrick, saw the 25" Q with the sport tower at the Cincinnati Boat show Saturday. You would look good in it.
I sure hope this was Jill's comment and not Bruce's, otherwise I feel a little awkward! Hahaha jk

BC, always drawbacks to every decision. My first boat (not counting the numerous jon boats and a 13' Whaler) was a 10 year old 36' Wellcraft with twin mercruiser I/Os. The maintenance on them was a nightmare. There was always something going wrong with my port side motor.

I'm with you on premium fuel. It'd be a difficult decision as to whether or not the extra cost/gallon would be worth an additional 50hp. Mind you, this is coming from a guy who'd give anything for an additional 35hp on my boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I now have my new 2274GL with the Mercury 115 four stroke. Very nice boat, and the performance is good. It was propped at delivery with a Spitfire 4 blade 13" pitch prop. It will do 26 mph GPS at the specified 5800 WOT rpm, but it does that without being at full throttle; there's more throttle available. I bought a spare prop, and went with the 15" Spitfire. It goes 29 mph with the 15", and WOT is now 5800 rpm as specified. Not sure I really need any more than that. I also went with twin elliptical tubes. The 29 mph is with 3 adults and a full (34 gal) tank. Not having previous experience with a pontoon boat, the major difference I notice from my I/O runabout is how many rpm it rally takes to get any speed. My runabout will cruise on plane at 25 mph running 2500 rpm all day long. The pontoon boat runs at a mere 8 mph at 2500 rpm, and takes over 5000 rpm to run 25 mph. Big difference for a guy that had never been on a pontoon boat before!

BTW, also got extended deck, snap in carpet, elevated helm, hydraulic steering, upgrade helm seat, dual batteries, upgrade radio w/Bluetooth and Sirius/XM, bow fill in seat, power distribution panel, large water/fuel separator, ski pylon, twin elliptical tube package, large fuel tank, and the upgrade docking lights. Ordered at the Detroit Boat Show in February, and it arrived at the dealer in late March. I'm very pleased so far.

Back