That is the trade off. you will love the ride and comfort of the pontoon but the performance will be way different. I bought a express package 2375 gcw with the 150 yama this year and got the best of both worlds. not 50 plus mph but ride and 40 plus mph I had to have only one boat you have the luxury of both enjoy!!

One reason the RPM's vs. speed are not comparable is because the propping is way different between the boat styles. Also, the pontoon is a displacement style hull. It's going to take more to get the same work done. You are on a floating living room. I was seriously considering a setup just like yours last fall before ordering our current boat. The only difference I was considering was strakes and a 150. Unfortunately or fortunately whichever way you want to look at it, I was drunk with lust when I boarded a floor model Sanpan. In some ways I wish I would have gone with the Benni. Little less glitz with the G but mucho more performance for the same price delta as I spent on glitz> Either way its hard to go wrong.

The 115hp Mercury Four Stroke behind the 2274 GL pulls me on one ski just fine! This is with two adults on board, pulling me at 28 mph. Popped right out on two, dropped immediately, and you can see the result. Next time out, I'll see if I can come out one one.

image.jpg

I too am shopping for my first pontoon (first boat, actually). I'm looking at the O/B 250 engines and what I've found is that out of the top/typical brands they hang off of Bennies, the Yamaha 250 is the ONLY one that has the premium fuel requirement. That's why I'm going to lean toward the Honda or Mercury or even the Suzuki. However, I've also found that dealers set themselves up with one brand of engine because it's easier for them. When they order the boats they come from the factory prepared for "that" brand. It's not impossible for the dealer to order another brand and install it with minor modifications/adapters/whatever but it's just another factor to consider.

I was at the Benny dealer the other day and there was a Yamaha rep there so I asked him about the fuel requirement for the 250 SHO and he said 87 octane was fine. Just an FYI.

I was at the Benny dealer the other day and there was a Yamaha rep there so I asked him about the fuel requirement for the 250 SHO and he said 87 octane was fine. Just an FYI.
Hey Carl. Yes, I've heard that too but I have a problem when sales people or reps give the old wave off as they say "no problem" yet the manual says otherwise. Maybe it's just my luck but that kind of thing always comes back and bites me in the ass somehow! Also, today's engines can adjust the timing on the fly when they sense knocking from low octane fuel. So the engine will run okay and not hurt itself but you also won't be getting the extra HP you paid extra for.

All and all it's not a big deal and I wouldn't go too far out of my way to avoid the Yamaha 250 but if there is a Y in the road with no consequence, I'm going to choose the Honda or Merc 250 as long as in writing Yamaha continues to say to use premium. If I'm saving a ton on a leftover and it comes with the Yamaha 250 then so be it. I'll fill it with premium when I need max power and chuck in 87 for the routine days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the Yamaha 250 is recommended 89 octane, mid grade, not premium. the Verado and the pro both say 92 recommended, 87 compatible , the pro xs and optimax say 87 compatible, the Honda actually says 86! Haha. I like my Yamaha, it's all I've ever owned so I am not the person to talk about how much better they are. I went with it because I am a long drive away from my dealer and I like the local Yamaha dealer so I stick with them. Haven't had any problems yet, the again, between the two boats I only had a total of 63 hours on the two motors!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess unless your doing something serious tubing, do you really need the power steering? That's a lit of money. I pull a 9 and 5 year old with my 150 pro xs with just the hyd steering and yeah, there is some forearm effort, but in my mind it's not worth the extra 2+K to get power assisted steering. But it's a personal choice. If you want it, get it. If you are on the fence, van you find 2 close to or identical boats and decide for yourself?

Good luck either way

Todd

I'm with Todd on this one. I have a 2013 2275 GCW with the 150 Merc, I did not put the power steering on it because of the initial cost and it would be easy to add at any time should you need it. Boat gets harder to steer the faster you go but at slow speeds it steers really easy. I would consider the 150 and no power steering.

He already went with the 115 and is already skiing behind it!

I have 08 2274GL with 115 Evinrude. No way ur going to get 20mph @ 2500rpm with no passengers on board, much less 6-8 people. @ 5000rpm, yes. Not 2500. if i could do it over, i'd go all in for the 150. 

Anyone have much experience on the cost of trading engines? I would be trading a 40+ hour 2014 F70 for a new F115. Also, I have seen numerous comments on 3 toons having better resale than two, but how does that play out with the express package and the 32" elliptical ?

Back