2275 RL Yamaha 90 stainless prop options?

ronfl

Reaction score
I have a 2005 2275 RL with a 90 4 stroke Yamaha. With 4 adults I can get it to run around 22mph but it only will get up to 5200 ish RPM. Has an aluminum stock prop and I'm thinking stainless and would like to see it a bit closer to 6000RPM when I want it? MPH was on GPS. I think if I had the right ss prop I could get a few more MPH on it and use the top end a bit better. Any thoughts?

I have a 2005 2275 RL with a 90 4 stroke Yamaha. With 4 adults I can get it to run around 22mph but it only will get up to 5200 ish RPM. Has an aluminum stock prop and I'm thinking stainless and would like to see it a bit closer to 6000RPM when I want it? MPH was on GPS. I think if I had the right ss prop I could get a few more MPH on it and use the top end a bit better. Any thoughts?
What size prop is on there now? We need a starting point.

You surely need a change of prop to get the rpm's up, but stainless props are pretty expensive items. Unless you're running aground and grinding/bending propellers, another aluminum prop with a lower pitch should do. I've noticed on this forum that many boatowners go to stainless on 150 hp and above motors.

When I had I/O's, I was going thru an aluminum prop a year. I switched over to stainless, and got 12 years out of the propeller--until the engine blew. I've had the same aluminum prop on my pontoon boat since 1986 because I don't take it into small, shallow places.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure... I'll look this weekend when we are at the lake and post it!

Thanks

13 1/2 x 15 -K is what's on it now. Where do I go to get a few hundred RPMs with 4 adults on board?

13 1/2 x 15 -K is what's on it now. Where do I go to get a few hundred RPMs with 4 adults on board?

????

I would opt for a 14"dia. X 11p. The smaller Yami 4 strokes are happiest if kept in the upper rpm operating range of 5700-6100.

If I were in your situation, I would start talking to the local Marinas to see if one will let you try before you buy. Generally speaking, moving down 1 degree in pitch should add around 300 RPM, but no way would I suggest ordering up a 13.5 x 13 blind.

One degree in pitch typically equates to 150-200 rpms. Each 1/4" of diameter equates to 50-100 rpms. Using the same style prop from the same manufacturer makes things a bit easier as it helps to eliminate some of the variables of rake, progression, and blade area that may differ by changing brands of props.

I agree. Try before you buy if possible.

So the first # is diameter and second # is the pitch? What does the K ?

If I were in your situation, I would start talking to the local Marinas to see if one will let you try before you buy. Generally speaking, moving down 1 degree in pitch should add around 300 RPM, but no way would I suggest ordering up a 13.5 x 13 blind.

What would a 13 5/8 x 13 do? The extra diameter would loose a little but the 2* less pitch would give it and some back, right?

So the first # is diameter and second # is the pitch? What does the K ?

If you want a relatively inexpensive stainless steel prop, check out the Solas New Saturn 14 x 11p for $252.32 at Boats.net. It was an excellent performer in our prop test last year. The aluminum Solas Amita 3 blade and 4 blade performed very well also. For the money, the Solas props are hard to beat. I own quite a few of them LOL! Boats.net also offers OEM Yamaha props in aluminum and stainless.

The 22RL is a heavy boat compared to the S models. Your motor is working hard trying to pull that 15p at 5200rpms. A 13p will get you into the 5500-5600 range. Not bad, but I'd want it closer to 6000 rpms if it were mine. A 14x11p would be my pick The motor will turn more rpms at cruising speeds, but it will actually get better economy because it isn't working nearly as hard. I wouldn't expect that any prop will gain more than 1-2 mph on your RL. Instead. I would focus more on getting the motor in the proper operating range. Your motor will be happy and so will you. You will be surprised at just how much better your motor will perform when it is propped to run closer to 6000 rpms.

Your the second one that recommended that prop! Think I'll try one! Boats.net seems to have the best $$$$

The 22RL is a heavy boat compared to the S models. Your motor is working hard trying to pull that 15p at 5200rpms. A 13p will get you into the 5500-5600 range. Not bad, but I'd want it closer to 6000 rpms if it were mine. A 14x11p would be my pick The motor will turn more rpms at cruising speeds, but it will actually get better economy because it isn't working nearly as hard. I wouldn't expect that any prop will gain more than 1-2 mph on your RL. Instead. I would focus more on getting the motor in the proper operating range. Your motor will be happy and so will you. You will be surprised at just how much better your motor will perform when it is propped to run closer to 6000 rpms.

What we really liked about the Solas New Saturn SS is that it performed exceptionally well with passengers. I would expect the Yamaha Pontoon Series props to perform equally as well. The Solas props are just much cheaper comparatively. Those big, fat and flat blades may look odd, but they work tremendously well for pontoons.

DO all Yamaha F90s have 15 tooth spine?

What we really liked about the Solas New Saturn SS is that it performed exceptionally well with passengers. I would expect the Yamaha Pontoon Series props to perform equally as well. The Solas props are just much cheaper comparatively. Those big, fat and flat blades may look odd, but they work tremendously well for pontoons.

Back