22Scwx issues

Jimmyd

Reaction score
New to the forum. The boat is awesome, however......

Took delivery of new 22scwx in May and many issues with build. Livewell not working, bimini LED lights not working, significant damage to bimini frame, upholstery not fastened on Queen chair, in floor storage lift pin broke in my hand, King and Queen chair swivel mechanism not adjusted properly resulting in removal of both chairs to reset post collar, in floor storage base not cut properly to sit flush, to date have yet to find fuel water separator, and finally all sorts of metal shavings embedded in seagrass floor and trapped behind railings against playpen panels. Takes the shine off what should be a great experience of owning a new Bennington.

Recourse has been very slow and I have offered for the dealer to come and retrieve the boat which they agreed, but can't guarantee when I may get it back.

Any suggestions or help to speed and get a remedy is appreciated!

I would call Bennington to see if you can get some help with the dealer. Our dealer in Livingston Tn. (Sprotsmen Center) is very responsive and resolves issues very quickly. I have been very fortunate and had no issues with my Benny. The water/fuel serperator is usually under the rear lounger next to the tank unless the tank is an underdeck tank then it is in the transom near the motor. I have seen the metal shaving on a lot of the new Benningtons and usually the dealer will vacumn the up. Way too many issues the dealer should have checked everything before you took delivery.  Hope you get it all worked out a dissapointed Bennington owner is very rare.Welcome to the forum and hope you find as much information as I have.

I think I would try talking to the dealer some more, he might be slowing down from the spring rush to get boats out.  I would list all my concerns and explain that naturally you don't want to be without your boat for a long time.  If you can still use your boat as it sits, could he get all the parts in and then make arrangements to pick-up with an estimation of when you would get it back

I'd keep on the dealer too and demand a more specific timeframe. From what I've experienced and read, Bennington is not that interested in getting involved in this kind of thing. I think B could do a better job with QC before boats leave the factory, but ultimately it's the dealer who should have the boat cleaned and prepped and ready for delivery. Some dealers are obviously a lot better than others. I'd keep the heat on them until they fix it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the dealer is responsible for catching and correcting these kind of issues. It has been my experience (in a variety of situations) that many dealers will take as much slack as you are willing to provide them.

Another phone call is in order where you politely, but firmly, inquire as to when they are coming for your boat, how long they will have it to effect said repairs, when it will be delivered and what their plan is to make you whole about being off the water (i.e. loaner boat?).

Do not settle for, "We won't know anything until we can look it over." You bought a boat intending to use it, so not sit and scratch yourself on land while they fiddle.

That said, if your dealer is unresponsive, request of them the name and contact information of their regional sales manager. That person WILL light a fire under the dealer, believe me.

I've had to work with Bennington directly for my issues and they will make it right. Unfortunately there are some slow or even bad dealers out there but there are other ways. Put the heat on and you'll get results. Good luck and nice boat by the way!

Thanks for all the responses. I am working with the dealer but they are so slow to give a concrete solution to my issues. Part of the reason I bought a Bennington was the quality of the build and reports of their outstanding warranty department.

I have been following this Forum for some time and found it immensely helpful in getting me up to speed in all things boating and Bennington.

I am still using the honey approach and starting to add some dashes of vinegar to get things moving more quickly. I will post back when we get some movement.

I've had my 24SSLX 3 years, and it's never been back to the dealership.  My dealer was very good at dealer prep. 

Had your dealer done his job right, many of your nit picking little issues would have been addressed prior to delivery.  Now you've got to figure out how to motivate the dealer into doing his job.  I'd suggest taking the boat back, and just sit down with the owner of the dealership.  Ask him exactly how long this is going to take to be corrected.  Be nice, but firm.

Can you get a loaner boat while they work on yours?!?

Oops just saw Randy wrote this......

Can you get a loaner boat while they work on yours?!?

Oops just saw Randy wrote this......
I'm just a man ahead of your time!!!!!

Makes one wonder how bad the warranty backup is at Bennington and how quickly they pays dealers for fixing this factory error crap.

Do they not INSPECT prior to shipment?

How "assembled" is a new boat when it ships?

Makes one wonder how bad the warranty backup is at Bennington and how quickly they pays dealers for fixing this factory error crap.

I don't know what "warranty backup" means. And dealer payment for warranty work means nothing in the context of the original poster's dealer issues.

I've been to the factory multiple times. Boats are inspected at the end of the assembly process. They are largely complete, but depending on the accessories or motors, some parts may be installed by the dealer.

None of us were present at the OP's delivery, but Bennington has a very complete delivery checklist. All of these issues should have been addressed prior to accepting the boat.

I have great confidence that Bennington will assure this customer's satisfaction.

As an owner of a 2575 QCW with a Yamaha 350, I, agree that Bennington should do a better job of cleaning up the metal shavings from the boats before they are shipped to the dealer.  I've had more than one sliver of metal stuck in my foot and even a year after delivery I continue to find them.  This should not be part of the dealer prep, it should be part of the manufacturer's construction process.  For the amount of money I paid for this boat, I should not have to fear walking bare foot on it.  You make the mess, you clean up the mess.

I have been at my dealers shop on many occasions while he finished the setup on Bennington pontoons. There are almost always metal shaving they have to vacumn up and a lot of the accessories they install. He always does a final inspection to make sure everything is ok. He also takes you to the lake the first time for a shake down cruise unless you just don't want to. I might have been a little hasty in saying to call Bennington but if the dealer does not give you satisfaction after a second call I would get in touch with Bennington to see if they can push the process a little. I looked at about every brand available in our area. I started with the Bennington and after about 8 visists to other dealers looking at other brands I came back to the Bennington. The quality  and the warranty won me out. Bennington does a very good job and I am sure the dealer and Bennington will make it right. Again good luck and enjoy you Bennington.

Warranty backup = how long after a dealer submits an invoice for warranty do they get paid? 5 days, 30, 60? Longer it gets the less enthusiasm the dealer will have.

for what it's worth when you show up at a dealer to pick up a boat you haven't seen, inspect it, Drive it and THE sign papers. Don't like what you see, walk.

Makes one wonder how bad the warranty backup is at Bennington and how quickly they pays dealers for fixing this factory error crap. Warranty backup = how long after a dealer submits an invoice for warranty do they get paid? 5 days, 30, 60? Longer it gets the less enthusiasm the dealer will have.

for what it's worth when you show up at a dealer to pick up a boat you haven't seen, inspect it, Drive it and THE sign papers. Don't like what you see, walk.
Cynical, assumptive, mostly incorrect, unfounded, baseless, bold, and bossy. I know this will get deleted, and I will probably get flagged. But time to call it out.

I would think that in the scheme of money coming in to the dealer warranty work paid by Bennington is probably a pretty small percentage and therefore this is not very significant.  I would also think that any quality dealer understands that it is much less costly to keep a customer [that is most likely infected with PADS] than it is to capture a new customer.

I believe you were victim to a rare event as opposed to a common one. The boat slipped through two nets, both the factory and the dealer. Unfortunate, but odds are this will happen on occasion. Probably though some miscommunication rather than negligence, but who knows. Neither Bennington nor your dealer would have purposely let this happen...

It will get made right, no question. Bennington stands behind its work. Your dealer said he'd fix it, so I believe he will. Your concern sounds like a time issue. If it were me, I'd fix what I could myself, and have the dealer fix now what I can't live without during boating season, then get the rest fixed this fall to minimize the time it sits at the dealer. I love boating season too much to let something like this take a big bite out of it.

I recently had a leak in a pontoon and it took less than 48 hours from the time I realized I had a leak to find it, drain it and have it welded. You could say I was highly motivated to get it done. I didn't want to miss one day of boating. Took the matter into my own hands and had it done. Bennington approved the warranty claim. I'm back on the water.

So that's what I suggest you do. Do what you can yourself. Hopefully some of it is just plugging stuff in and running a vacuum cleaner. Maybe some of it is just ordering a couple parts and having them mailed to you. The rest waits until fall, or when you plan to be gone for a week or so.

Warranty backup = how long after a dealer submits an invoice for warranty do they get paid? 5 days, 30, 60? Longer it gets the less enthusiasm the dealer will have.
While you are welcome to your observations and questions about warranty work/reimbursement, I don't see how either is relevant to the OP's situation.

The OP has received several useful ideas on communicating with the selling dealer to get things moving. After all, happy boating is what it's all about!

Back