22Scwx issues

From a dealers stand point I can tell you that Bennington does an outstanding job of backing up the dealers in warranty. We have received a few boats that arrived with out the same Q.C. That is no reason a boat should be delivered to customer like that. It is the dealers responsibility to make sure each boat is 100% ready to be delivered. Bennington will pay us for any Q.C. problems that were over looked. I believe you are going about this the right way. Your dealer should step up.

Jimmyd

Sounds like mostly a fail in dealer prep. The dealer should inspect and remedy any issues that could have happened during shipping. Like a damaged Bimini frame. These boats are made largely of metal. Shavings are going to exist. The trip from the factory may have dislodged shavings that did not get blown or vacuumed off the boat at the factory. The dealer should have tested ALL of the components on you're boat. Opened and closed all doors and adjusted or repaired if not perfect. Our helm door latch was a bit to tight at delivery. Dealer was embarrassed they had not noticed it before our inspection. Dealer should have shown you where every filter, pump, or component was located. I hope you get the items fixed to you're satisfaction. You have a wonderful boat and should get years of enjoyment out of a quality product. Might want to find a better dealer though.

Ops didn't notice the thread had grown to page 2. Bobp covered what I think already. A good dealer like him would have fixed it and made it a fun and enjoyable experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dealer is attempting to lay this at the feet of Bennington and they said many of the issues I am having are not something they would check on pre-delivery! Makes you wonder if they even checked anything at all? The Bimini lights and Livewell are certainly something that should have been checked and remedied by the Dealer before delivery. I have asked twice for a few small items to be mailed to me to install; I still wait.

I am convinced while Bennington did have some QC issues, the Dealer should have caught most if not all of them if they had done a pre delivery checklist. Margins must be slim, (unlikely). There was no checklist and a very brief run through of boat on delivery.

I am fully confident that all this will get remedied but frustrated that no definitive plan is in place as yet. I would have thought after a day or 2 at most, a course of action would be in place? Lots of "we will get back to you".

Guess I chose the wrong Dealer?

Good news! I remedied bimini lights today. Bullet connections are poor so I will have to keep an eye on them in the future.

I also heard from the Dealer today. 2 weeks to get new LED Bimini rail to replace damaged one. Installation process undetermined. The list is getting smaller thanks mostly to my fixes.

I think my Bimini rails are screwed on is all. Way to knock the list out!

He shouldn't have to make all the fixes though. That is not why I bought a new boat, to spend time off the water wrenching on it. I get a simple fix, but having a punchlist of items is nuts. If owners don't hold the manufacturer, dealer responsible, the issues will continue. Once profits feel a crunch from backend mistakes, change will ensue. Or at least I hope so.

And the truth finally comes out!

I contacted the Dealer and they said unless I was willing to trailer the boat 2 hrs each way they are unable to fix my livewell connection and install a new bimini frame. Bennington is unwilling to pay a Tech from the Dealer to travel and fix something they failed to do in the build and the Dealer failed to check; which I paid handsomely for them to do.

Bimini frame is easy fix as earlier poster suggested and I contacted Bennington directly to get the wiring diagram for my boat. I guess I install the frame once they ship to me and do the electrical for the live-well.

I will be having a chat with the Bennington Rep for the area as it strikes me that if there are several issues with a new delivery, they need to know and if Bennington is unwilling to pay travel time to remedy issues on a brand new boat, everyone needs to know.

I am deeply disappointed in both Bennington and The Cove. An awesome boat to be sure but the after sale service absolutely horrendous.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

That's disappointing to hear.  I tell you what, get it fixed (yourself) then put it all behind you and don't think about it when you are out on the boat.  You have many great times to come while out on that boat!  Too bad you had a bad dealer, but that's where the problem was, with the dealer and maybe Bennington, but not the boat itself.  Be sure and separate the two things in your mind so you can have a good time every time you are on the boat.  I'm speaking from experience.  The marina did some damage to my boat a while back.  It turned into a "he said she said" and you can probably guess the rest.  Best decision for me was to just let it go so I could enjoy the boat (which I do!).  I won't ever recommend the marina we're at to anyone after that incident, and I've since heard similar stories from others at the same marina, but our options as far as marinas go are SO limited, I had to make a choice and choose the lesser evil.  I had to decide what it was I wanted to get out of boating.  It's extremely good therapy to be out on the lake.  Can't let the bad parts get you down.  Fix it.  Move on.  Have a great time out on the boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's disappointing to hear.  I tell you what, get it fixed (yourself) then put it all behind you and don't think about it when you are out on the boat.  You have many great times to come while out on that boat!  Too bad you had a bad dealer, but that's where the problem was, with the dealer and maybe Bennington, but not the boat itself.  Be sure and separate the two things in your mind so you can have a good time every time you are on the boat.  I'm speaking from experience.  The marina did some damage to my boat a while back.  It turned into a "he said she said" and you can probably guess the rest.  Best decision for me was to just let it go so I could enjoy the boat (which I do!).  I won't ever recommend the marina we're at to anyone after that incident, and I've since heard similar stories from others at the same marina, but our options as far as marinas go are SO limited, I had to make a choice and choose the lesser evil.  I had to decide what it was I wanted to get out of boating.  It's extremely good therapy to be out on the lake.  Can't let the bad parts get you down.  Fix it.  Move on.  Have a great time out on the boat!
Very sage advice kaydano! With the accumulation of a little grey hair and raising 2 kids, you pick and choose your battles. This is not giving up or admitting defeat, it is managing the situation. You are correct that once fixed, I will park it. Still find it boggling how this all unfolded.

Thank you for calling these issues to our attention.  Bennington and your dealer should work in unison to be sure you have a good delivery experience.   TB will make sure this info gets into the proper hands.   We will ask our Ontario sales representative to contact you for follow-up.

A small note regarding aluminum shavings...

Anyone who has toured our facilities has seen that we wipe, vacuum and assure the cleanliness of our boats, then wrap them from bow- to- stern in sheets/felt prior to shrink-wrapping.  (We also spend extra money on shrink-wrap zipper doors.)   Metal shavings are a nemesis and are often caused by the shimmy and shake of road travel between the factory and the dealer, when the small shavings inside the rails are set free.   Boats may need several rounds of vacuuming by the owner before shavings are totally eliminated.   

And THAT, is EXACTLY why we are all proud and loyal Bennington owners! Way to go TB!

Thank you for calling these issues to our attention.  Bennington and your dealer should work in unison to be sure you have a good delivery experience.   TB will make sure this info gets into the proper hands.   We will ask our Ontario sales representative to contact you for follow-up.

A small note regarding aluminum shavings...

Anyone who has toured our facilities has seen that we wipe, vacuum and assure the cleanliness of our boats, then wrap them from bow- to- stern in sheets/felt prior to shrink-wrapping.  (We also spend extra money on shrink-wrap zipper doors.)   Metal shavings are a nemesis and are often caused by the shimmy and shake of road travel between the factory and the dealer, when the small shavings inside the rails are set free.   Boats may need several rounds of vacuuming by the owner before shavings are totally eliminated.
Thank you TB. My faith is being restored as I received an email from the Ont Rep today. I forwarded emails from myself and the Dealer and once again outlined my case. He undertook to discuss my case with the Dealer Principal.

Back