23LSB W/250 SHO Owners

JoshinMI

Reaction score
If you wouldn't mind, please let me know what hull type you have and what prop was installed by your dealer. Thank you in advance.

I have just received my 23 SLX (with the SPS+ hull) with a 250 SHO last Thursday. My dealer installed a 15.75 x 15 SWS II prop although I had previously indicated that I wanted a 15.5 x 16 SWS II prop. The dealer said Yamaha suggested the 15.75 x 15 and when I went on the Yamaha website it shows that this is the best all around prop (the website also shows the 15.5 x 16 as better for speed). I suspect Yamaha assumes you will load up a pontoon with people and need a better hole shot. The 15.75 x 15 SWS II easily spins to 6000 RPM (I only did this a couple of times after 4 hours and only for a short burst) with 5 adults and a full tank of gas. The hole shot is also very strong. Although my dealer said they would exchange the prop for a 15.5 x 16 if I wanted to, I think I'll keep the 15.75 x 15 because I rarely look to max out my speed as I normally cruise at around 4000 RPM and really I like the instant throttle response of the 15.75 x 15. The 250 SHO is a beast of an engine and with your boat your performance will be excellent regardless of the prop you might ultimately choose.

Attachments

• 20210429_132011.jpg
    20210429_132011.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 17
I have just received my 23 SLX (with the SPS+ hull) with a 250 SHO last Thursday. My dealer installed a 15.75 x 15 SWS II prop although I had previously indicated that I wanted a 15.5 x 16 SWS II prop. The dealer said Yamaha suggested the 15.75 x 15 and when I went on the Yamaha website it shows that this is the best all around prop (the website also shows the 15.5 x 16 as better for speed). I suspect Yamaha assumes you will load up a pontoon with people and need a better hole shot. The 15.75 x 15 SWS II easily spins to 6000 RPM (I only did this a couple of times after 4 hours and only for a short burst) with 5 adults and a full tank of gas. The hole shot is also very strong. Although my dealer said they would exchange the prop for a 15.5 x 16 if I wanted to, I think I'll keep the 15.75 x 15 because I rarely look to max out my speed as I normally cruise at around 4000 RPM and really I like the instant throttle response of the 15.75 x 15. The 250 SHO is a beast of an engine and with your boat your performance will be excellent regardless of the prop you might ultimately choose.
Thank you for your input. The dealer installed a 17 pitch Reliance series, and everything I read says it should be a SWS II. This is why I'm looking to find out what others are getting from their dealers.

I would definitely press for a SWS II prop as recommended by Yamaha. Go on the Yamaha website prop selector with your dealer or maybe take a screen shot to show to your dealer.

Thank you for your input. The dealer installed a 17 pitch Reliance series, and everything I read says it should be a SWS II. This is why I'm looking to find out what others are getting from their dealers.
The Reliance prop is meant for sub-200HP I4 applications. Don't let the dealer give you a completely wrong prop for your motor because they can't source the right one. Not even in the right ballpark.

My dealer installed a Reliance on my F250 and claimed that the top speed was within expectations for my motor. True, 46mph was close, but everything else that mattered was terrible - time to plane/holeshot, fuel efficiency, bite in turns etc. The motor hit the rev limiter with still another 10-15 degrees of throttle left.

Enertia 17p or SWS2 15/16 for your boat.

The Reliance prop is meant for sub-200HP I4 applications. Don't let the dealer give you a completely wrong prop for your motor because they can't source the right one. Not even in the right ballpark.

My dealer installed a Reliance on my F250 and claimed that the top speed was within expectations for my motor. True, 46mph was close, but everything else that mattered was terrible - time to plane/holeshot, fuel efficiency, bite in turns etc. The motor hit the rev limiter with still another 10-15 degrees of throttle left.

Enertia 17p or SWS2 15/16 for your boat.
What you are describing is exactly how it feels driving the boat. I can get to the expected top speed, but everything else feels 'off'.

What you are describing is exactly how it feels driving the boat. I can get to the expected top speed, but everything else feels 'off'.
Yep - that Reliance has a small diameter and less blade area than what your motor can handle. Imagine having a Corvette C8 with little puny 14" spare-sized donut tires, the HP will just overpower those and you can't put the power to the ground. With props we use slip % as a measure of lost propulsion, and the Reliance will test poorly in your case.

The Reliance is a good prop for what it is - mid size motor and lighter-weight monohull applications. But with the amount of drag our pontoons have, we need to turn more substantial props. If you do a search there are a lot of threads on the topic.

I was able to get 5900 rpm @ 43 mph, I have gotten 47 mph @ 5500 rpm with a 14.25x19p but was unhappy with the sluggish response, ken at prop gods said my boat would probably fall in the middle between 16p&17p for max of both worlds. I will probably stay with the 16p due to the number of people that will be on board most of the time. I have a 300hp but I don't think there is a nickel worth of difference, however I do have the esp hull and I think it slows my top speed

Well, contacted the dealer and they are going to put a 16P SWS2 prop on. Thank you all for your input.
Congrats on holding firm.

Your boat is very similar to mine (SXP 23 swingback) so my guess is you will hit 5900-6100 RPM and hit 47-48ish. The 16p has some very nice holeshot and overall good performance below 4000RPM. These were my results when testing my 16 SWS and will continue to serve as my spare.

But my primary prop is a Q3 (Enertia) 17p which provides similar good results down low, but really shines above 4000RPM - better speed (tops out at 50 on a good day) and fuel efficiency. I do a lot of long runs on the river and 5000 is my desired cruise, so the Q3 is the better option for 90% of my use.

If you feel the need to squeeze out that last bit of performance consider the Enertia prop.

Let us know how it goes!

EDIT - I raised my motor two holes, so that may change the comparison a little. But you have the stronger 250 if you're running 89 octane.

Congrats on holding firm.

Your boat is very similar to mine (SXP 23 swingback) so my guess is you will hit 5900-6100 RPM and hit 47-48ish. The 16p has some very nice holeshot and overall good performance below 4000RPM. These were my results when testing my 16 SWS and will continue to serve as my spare.

But my primary prop is a Q3 (Enertia) 17p which provides similar good results down low, but really shines above 4000RPM - better speed (tops out at 50 on a good day) and fuel efficiency. I do a lot of long runs on the river and 5000 is my desired cruise, so the Q3 is the better option for 90% of my use.

If you feel the need to squeeze out that last bit of performance consider the Enertia prop.

Let us know how it goes!

EDIT - I raised my motor two holes, so that may change the comparison a little. But you have the stronger 250 if you're running 89 octane.
The long runs are what I see myself doing as well. They offered me a 15,16, or 17 and I went with the middle one. I will definitely look into the Enertia prop down the road as that sounds like it will match what I want.

I'm going to run this season with the motor where the dealer installed it, and then determine if I want to start meesing with that.

I do run 89 rec fuel in the motor.

You've got a great boat and motor (yes, I'm a little biased!). One more point to make, the SWS prop has more diameter than the Enertia, so it will generally turn a little better as well. The Enertia achieves it's 17p by utilizing less diameter but more rake (backwards swept angle of the blades) so that's where the speed and efficiency is gained. But it trades off a little bite in turns - just wanted to give you a heads up before you invest $700 on another prop.

You've got a great boat and motor (yes, I'm a little biased!). One more point to make, the SWS prop has more diameter than the Enertia, so it will generally turn a little better as well. The Enertia achieves it's 17p by utilizing less diameter but more rake (backwards swept angle of the blades) so that's where the speed and efficiency is gained. But it trades off a little bite in turns - just wanted to give you a heads up before you invest $700 on another prop.
Thank you for all the information. Greatly appreciated.

Glad you are getting your prop switched around. Your numbers weren’t bad with the Reliance, but as many advised, not the right prop for our set up.

SWS II is very good; especially with the Yamaha’s. I have a 16p Enertia with our boat: 200HP Mercury Verado Pro. Works awesome on my boat. IF you ever switch over to an Enertia, I believe you need to get a hub kit for your Yamaha so be sure to check into that.

That said, my guess is you‘ll see such good results from the SWS II that you may decide not to spend more money on experimenting with an Enertia next year.

Keep us posted on your performance numbers once you have it all up and going right.

Glad you are getting your prop switched around. Your numbers weren’t bad with the Reliance, but as many advised, not the right prop for our set up.

SWS II is very good; especially with the Yamaha’s. I have a 16p Enertia with our boat: 200HP Mercury Verado Pro. Works awesome on my boat. IF you ever switch over to an Enertia, I believe you need to get a hub kit for your Yamaha so be sure to check into that.

That said, my guess is you‘ll see such good results from the SWS II that you may decide not to spend more money on experimenting with an Enertia next year.

Keep us posted on your performance numbers once you have it all up and going right.
Will do! Thanks for the info about the hub.

Good point Viking - Yamaha props appear to have hubs that are not interchangeable. A Mercury prop will have a different square bore and need a hub kit. I had a Rubex 203B but am going to experiment with a Flo-Torq 4 to hopefully reduce clunk and vibration.

Just as an update to my post above, I finally found the numbers on my Striker 4 and find that my top speed so far (only hit 6000 rpms for about 20 seconds in a strong head wind) is 47.5 mph. I'm sure when I'm past the 10 hour mark and race across the biggest lake on our chain on a calm day while playing with the trim I'll hit 50 with just me, my wife, and a full tank of gas. I will say I find that I like the "bite" of the 15.75 x 15 a lot. I'm going to stick with it, knowing I may be sacrificing a couple of miles per hour. Someday I'll have to calculate the "slip" of this prop - I suspect it will be low.

Glad to hear you're getting a SWS II prop.....you will love it. I guarantee it!!

Back