24 SSRX Express Packing with Yamaha F150 top speed?

Lakesully

Reaction score
New to the Forum. Lots of great postings. Just purchased a used 2016 24 SSRX with the Express Tune Package that is powered by a Yamaha F150. Stern Radius, Dual Helm Chairs, Power Bimini, In Floor Storage.... Anyhow, there is no speedo in the dash and the Echo 100 fish graph does not have GPS. The owner said he thought it went around 35 mph but on reflection that has to be a total guess. The Yamaha has a standard aluminum prop. Snow on the ground right now so it may be a while before I can know first hand the top speed. After reading some posts on the Express Tune Package I am concerned that the Bow will look like a rocket awaiting count down from mission control. Any insight would be helpful. Thinking of adding a SS prop as well.

There are GPS phone apps that can give you your speed .
I have a 23 RCW SA SPS with a 150 ( much heavier boat ) 15 X 15 stainless .I can hit 38 .And Clean toons do make a difference .I would invest in the stainless prop ,with a 150 an aluminum prop will flex

New to the Forum. Lots of great postings. Just purchased a used 2016 24 SSRX with the Express Tune Package that is powered by a Yamaha F150. Stern Radius, Dual Helm Chairs, Power Bimini, In Floor Storage.... Anyhow, there is no speedo in the dash and the Echo 100 fish graph does not have GPS. The owner said he thought it went around 35 mph but on reflection that has to be a total guess. The Yamaha has a standard aluminum prop. Snow on the ground right now so it may be a while before I can know first hand the top speed. After reading some posts on the Express Tune Package I am concerned that the Bow will look like a rocket awaiting count down from mission control. Any insight would be helpful. Thinking of adding a SS prop as well.
New to the Forum. Lots of great postings. Just purchased a used 2016 24 SSRX with the Express Tune Package that is powered by a Yamaha F150. Stern Radius, Dual Helm Chairs, Power Bimini, In Floor Storage.... Anyhow, there is no speedo in the dash and the Echo 100 fish graph does not have GPS. The owner said he thought it went around 35 mph but on reflection that has to be a total guess. The Yamaha has a standard aluminum prop. Snow on the ground right now so it may be a while before I can know first hand the top speed. After reading some posts on the Express Tune Package I am concerned that the Bow will look like a rocket awaiting count down from mission control. Any insight would be helpful. Thinking of adding a SS prop as well.[/QU

I have the exact same boat but do not have the express tune package. I can get up to 32mph with the boat being almost completely empty with just two people in it. Download an mph app on your phone. That is how I checked mine.

Make sure the toons are clean as that will impact top speed. Having the bow high isn't a bad thing depending on where you boat.

Thanks all for chiming in. Very encouraging results Spar-Toon! Thanks.

It does have the Shark Hide Tube Protectant and the underdeck wave shield.

Anyone know how long the Shark Hide is designed to last on the pontoons? (Prior owner has used it 3 season now).

Phone app is a great idea. I was also considering upgrading the Fish Graph to one with a GPS. I will be boating a lot on the mighty Mississippi and aside from a few sandbars, the water fluctuates. Wondering if I need to run a different transducer if I bought another Garmin?

Spar-Toon, does the back end of your pontoon sit much lower in the water than most?

Great advise above regarding clean toons and SS prop. Welcome Lakesully and post some pictures!

Jack-M, How would I know which SS prop to buy?

I looked up the weight and was very surprised. But even more surprised to see the 23 R series pontoons are 1-Foot longer than the 24-SX series (23' 4" vs 22' 4"). I guess I kind of figured the boat length would correspond closely to the model number.

Jack-M, How would I know which SS prop to buy?

I looked up the weight and was very surprised. But even more surprised to see the 23 R series pontoons are 1-Foot longer than the 24-SX series (23' 4" vs 22' 4"). I guess I kind of figured the boat length would correspond closely to the model number.

S model decks were typically a foot shorter than model number. I believe toon length was same, but deck was shorter. That’s some of the price difference in S vs. GRQ line.
You pretty much have to change the transducer if you are upgrading from the 100. I did mine with the boat in 4’ or so of water and just walked underneath to run wiring.

Walking underneath is a great idea....I am all about making it easier!

Back